1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mc Kenzie tan question

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by xsticker, Oct 19, 2012.

1. I just received a bobcat that had been started by another Taxidermist. The customer said it was fleshed turned and pickled then frozen.What I want to know if it was pickled how can I tell. I send out all my tanning. also would it be OK to pickle if it already was pickled.The customer said the other Taxidermist told them he used Mc Kenzie tan on the cat but never brushed on the tan. I read the instructions on how to use this tan they said at any point you can freeze and then thaw and go to next step but never said if it is OK to re- pickle if not sure if it was pickled.Any help would be appreciated.

2. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Does the hide look like its been shaved, or thinned down? Is it fairly white? All could be indications that its been pickled.

To answer your question about re-pickleing it should be ok, they say it can stay in a pickle for months at a time as long as the PH is maintained so my best guess would be if in doubt re-pickle.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A strip of Ph paper laid on the skin side will tell you if it is pickled or not.

4. thank you as soon as I thaw it I will check with Ph strip and check to see if it is shaved. just wanted some info before I started it.Thanks again

5. Just smell it.