1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help on pricing.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by after the shot, May 7, 2007.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I just had a customer contact me in reference to mounting 2 whitetail fawns. I am not quite sure what I should charge. I am confident on my taxidermy abilities but i am not too sure how long it should take. i don't want to price myself too low but I also don't want to scare the guy off with too high a price. My current pricing for a lifesize deer is $1250.00+ and $450.00 for a shoulder mount.But being a fawn the forms cost considerably less. but then again w/ a smaller animal with shorter hair and thinner skin, you have too be able to hide the stitches better which means more time. and more time = more $$$$$$. any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Good luck pretending a form is going to fit the fawns. Chances are if you go that way, you will have to make the forms or do alterations. Freeze drying is another option, charge plenty, if you over bid, you only loose the headaches of doing them.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have used several out of McKenzie with great results, but some alteration is always needed. Mr. T is right, they won't always fit.

4. after the shot

i'm not affraid of alterations or charging for them. i was trying to get some sense of where to start for the pricing

5. juliecolorado

juliecolorado savagetaxidermy.com

I've mounted four, none of the forms fit, altered all of them. They do dry fast, thin skinned. I charged $400.00 each. Good luck. Julie

6. after the shot

Julie,
    you charged $400.00 each. what is that compared to what you charge for a full sized l/s deer or shoulder mount. I feel that i could get the job if i charge 400.00. but i also feel that there wouldn't be much profit in it if i charge that after i consider the time involved. how long did they take to mount in comparison to a to another small mammal say an otter, beaver or fox which i get between $500-$600.

7. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

I done one a rew weeks ago and charged $800. And it was worth every penny.

8. cht

cht New Member

I did one last year at 650.00 I think it was a little low I'll go to 700.00 or 750.00 on the next. To compair, my deer heads are at 350.00.

9. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I charge $600 and I end up making my own body mostly all the time. They have very short hair ( hard to hide stitches), have skinny legs with tendons showing and come in all sizes. Charge enough for them. If you lose out on a lower bid from another taxidermist, let him have the time consuming headache.

10. i would go no less than $800 you could carcass cast , alter commercial froms or wrap one i would just alter one ,but thats what i get out off them.
    take care

11. after the shot

Thank you all for your suggestions and valuable input.

12. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

I would charge the $1250 for each one, considering that is half of what you should be charging for a lifesize deer....

13. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

taxidermists need to STOP thinking in terms of what they could afford or want to pay and start charging at LEAST what contractors make per hour/job in your area plus materials. Call one and ask what his hourly rates etc. are for a porch edition to your house. I know you won't, but thats my 2cents..

14. I agree with Jim Marsico, great answer. Ü

15. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

And I'll second that Jim And Tim,
    My mechanic, plummer and contractor get 65.00+ per man hour WHY shouldn't I, so I do.....
    I won't touch a lifesize deer for less that 2750.00 plus a 500 to 750 base.
    alterations hundreds more.
    WHO stated that taxidermy was suppose to be affordable to everyone????
    IT"S A LUXURY ITEM that you produce.

16. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Right on KIM
    I don't care if your mounting deer feet, the price is figured the same.

17. after the shot

Whoa wait a minute here. I understand pricing methods.Thats why I posted the question. If I have never mounted a lifesize fawn, how could I figure out the pricing if I am not sure roughly how long it should take. And since I haven't mounted a lifesized fawn before, I thought that I would post the question to get some feedback.
    Again , thank you all for your input even the ones with condescending replies. I ended up quoting my customer $800.00 each without any base or habitat. He siad that he is going to check around because he feels that it should be around $400.00. If he finds someone at that price, they can have the headaches.

18. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to be condescending. $800.00 is fair, some taxidermist will do it for half that or less, and thats my point.

19. after the shot

Jim,
    I understand where your coming from. I feel that alot of taxidermists charge way too little for their work. In my area there are at least 8 taxidermists within a 20 mile radius so I know that a few of them charge less trying to bring in more work. But, myself as a part timer, my pricing is right about at the top of the scale or just below. I would rather take in less work and make more money. I also checked out your website. You are truly a gifted artist.