1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

NEVERMORE!!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ShastaDonegan, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

So this is my third bird ever, hand wrapped form...went wrong withe the leg placement and it was loaded with pin feathers so I lost more than a few feathers along the way but any direction that can be given to improve on the next one will be greatly appreciated...MAN mammals are so much easier, also what wire are you guys using? I'm having a heck of a time getting the wires placed in the wings, went sub dermal but need to find a better way because I plan to try an open wing mount on the next one, plus I have a teal, gadwal and pintail waiting in the freezer...be a shame to ruin them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avian Preservation

Avian Preservation New Member

Shasta
    Its not that bad for a third mount,I'm sure my 3rd mount couldn't have been any better. The body shape could be different and maybe the leg placement could be a little different.There are several wing wiring methods that are easy to do and work well,so you can take your pick.Remember that waterfowl have some different issues that a crow or upland birds don't have.
    Best of luck
    Thomas

3. ShastaDonegan

Thank you, i have done a little teal before, the crow was so easy compared to a duck, cleaning the feathers and skin was a breeze.

I wrapped the body to match the carcass perfectly but it's hard for me to tell where exactly I went wrong...what should be different specifically?

Where can I find info on different wiring methods?

4. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

use annealed wire in the wings. it has no memory , bends easy and stays bent.no spring back, ;)

5. Avian Preservation

Avian Preservation New Member

Shasta
    Breakthrough had and article by Stefan and one by Glen Browning on wing wiring methods

6. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Why wire in a wing pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

7. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

those that can' 8)'can'' those that cant' :-X 'pin'' ;D ;D ;D ;D :'( :-*

8. snowhare

snowhare New Member

:eek: ya oll ap yarr , i can do um all, wire no wire

9. ShastaDonegan

How in the heck would you do an open wing without the use of wire snow?

10. MichaelG

MichaelG TRAINEE

Congrats Shasta. Lots of pretty good info on YouTube. Found this one today which I thought was pretty interesting. From that one you can select "related" to find more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b64NX5doSw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BTW, great thread title.

11. ShastaDonegan

Wow, thanks Michael! I'm adding way too much wire wich is most likely why it was so hard to get the wings in the correct position.

12. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

The wing pinning would be for a standing mount, wire flying

13. snowhare

snowhare New Member

Never do open wings here :-*

14. There's something up with the body that I can't place my finger on... the legs are a bit far back, perhaps?

15. ShastaDonegan

I think that is most of the problem FoxTrail...you can bet I won't be doing that twice tho...lol

16. JBird

JBird Member

wow - I have to say that I am officially impressed. Anatomy (leg and wing placement) will come in time and with practice - what you hardly ever see in a beginning taxidermist is SMOOTH CLEAN birds - you did a really good job on grooming - mechanics can be learned, but grooming a bird properly really is an art - and the fact that you already KNOW that the legs and wings aren't quite where they need to be puts you way ahead of the curve - most people (myself included) would have been nothing but thrilled with that as a third bird - heck - i'd have been thrilled with that for a 10th bird - really well done you have a tremendous amount of potential and I'm quite excited to see where you take it from here. There are a million "hows" from around the world - and none of them are wrong and all of them are right - its finding what works for you and getting a satisfactory end result -

GREAT JOB !!!!

J

17. ShastaDonegan

Thank you...I spent extra time cleaning, I think it helps the most in feather placement.