1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Restoring the AMNH's Dioramas videos

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Oct 22, 2012.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I apologize if someone posted this anywhere earlier. Since NYC is in my backyard, I have been keeping up with the American Museum of Natural History via Facebook and they have been posting some really awesome videos over the last month or so regarding the restoration of the North American mammal hall. It is set to reopen later this week. Some truly amazing stuff!

Here is the link on youtube to the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5E68FF5D56EB4025&feature=plcp

2. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Do you know if they replaced or restored or tore out the pronghorn antelope diorama? Myself and two other Wyoming taxidermists Steve Werbelow and Ron Morency completely redid the old diorama and mounted new antelope about 12 years ago or so . The Wyoming Outfitters Association and the Pronghorn Society sponsored the entire project through the Wyoming Taxidermists Association. My wife and I collected all the foreground dirt and materials from near my home here and I spent a week at the museum helping and another few days there for a dedication ceremony. It was a great experience. No one seems to know or will tell if it all got replaced with the new construction and updates.

3. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Not sure, James. I will stop by sometime next week after the hall reopens and take some pictures of the updated work there. Hopefully, they have kept it around, because now I want to see it!

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    According to what has been posted here, as well as what has been written up, George Dante and his crew restored the original Pronghorn herd among other mounts over the last year or so.

5. James Marsico

Fact: The "original" pronghorn display was replaced by new mounts and the diorama was completely redone by myself, museum staff and other Wyoming taxidermists as I stated. The "orginal" mounts were discarded at that time.

6. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

Thanks so much for sharing these videos. Some day I hope to make it out to New York to see those dioramas. They look spectacular.

7. LordRusty

Ohio
    So ... which Pronghorn(s) did you replace? I'd also like to see a work order before I buy into this one.

8. James Marsico

Why would I lie about this? We replaced the entire diorama and all the pronghorn family at the Smithsonian National History Museum in Washington D.C.. At the dedication former Wyoming Senator Craig Thomas spoke. I was the team leader for the project. My daughter and I spent quite a bit of time exploring the cat walks and back rooms store houses of the museum where otherwise no one is permitted while I was there. It was a great experience. I recently also personally sculpted all the lifesize mammals in Winterstone now on display in the new Grand Teton National Forest Service Visitors center in Moose Wyoming, just north of Jackson Wyoming. Vice president Dick Cheney was the speaker at the dedication. A lifesize bull moose I sculpted is the center piece of the museum. I also mounted the Grizzly family of bears for the Buffalo Bill Historical center here in Cody. I also sculpted the 9 foot tall bronze ram that stands in front of the National Wild Sheep Foundation in Dubois Wyoming and six other placements of it throughout the USA. among nine other momumental bronze placements in country and a life size bull elk in Bronze # one of which is on puplic display in Geneva Switzerland. Two for the University of PA. One in Philly and also in West Chester. I don't need to prove anything to anyone or lie about anything. Here is a photo I took of the pronghorn buck mounted near my home. It was mounted at my studio and installed in the NEW diorama.

Attached Files:

9. James, there has been a simple misunderstanding; you are speaking about the Smithsonian National Museum, the post is referring to the American Museum of Natural History in NY. I have just spent over a year and a half at AMNH restoring both the Hall of North American Mammals and the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Hall. In those halls there are two dioramas which contain pronghorn, the Bison diorama in the NAMH and the Elkhorn Ranch diorama in the TRMH. These are the original specimens in both dioramas and were restored mainly because of color fading. The mounts themselves were spectacular! I will post some photos.

Thanks for posting the videos Adam, these really cam out great.

George Dante

10. LordRusty

Ohio
    Well dang it, Jim! You have to be careful with us AMNH fanatics! LOL! The Smithsonian is a whole 'nother animal! That's why I asked 'which Pronghorns?' ... there are two different dioramas that contain them, as George explained. I know the Smithsonian has many new mounts from many current Taxidermists. Next time, PLEASE, be more careful! ;D LOL!Congratulations on getting the job for them!

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

And you did a fine job my friend as I witnessed first hand 3 months ago.....George, you made the whole community of Taxidermist's VERY proud!

12. James Marsico

Sorry, I am getting older every day and its starting to show more and more I guess.

13. Thanks Michael, I am truly humbled. No worries James, simple mistake!