1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hours per week

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tim McLagan, Oct 4, 2006.

1. 40 -50 Ha Ha Ha !!!!

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. 50-60

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. 60-70

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  4. 70 + --------------- Like Me

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Just an average per week, not just hunting season. All year long, not only receiving mounts, but also getting them done ! :: (GIT-R-DONE ) ::)

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hey, you did say, "In the shop", didn't you? No mention of work or anything. I tend to live out there. Sometimes by my choice, sometimes by the wife's. Works for me.

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I work part-time. Average probably 25hrs per week.

4. I quit counting years ago. Especially after I got my divorce. Seemed like I purporsely spent more time doing taxidermy, so I wouldn't be thinking of the Exwife cheating on me with my best friend. It kept me out of prison for first degree murder. LOL!! ;D ;D

Coyote

5. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

When I am in the shop and not hunting/fishing/gathering referrence my day starts at 8am and goes for up to 12-14 hours by choice.I like to remind myself of the time have away like the last 2 months hunting bear and the month in the spring for fishing................
    George we must be married to sisters..........

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I spend 40 a week pretty religiously. I try to keep from getting burned out. Taxidermy is a job for me not my life. I only spend the extra time when I might get a little behind or need some extra cash in a pinch. If you WORK when you are in the studio and don't "tinker" you don't need to spend your life in the shop.

I have noticed most guys who spend to many hours in the shop work this way:

Go to the shop read paper, drink coffee. Put form on stand. Stare at it for a half hour. Get antlers. Hold them up to the form and spend half an hour staring at them. Cut skull to fit. Go to the bathroom. Bondo antlers to form. Change channels on TV. Set eyes. Stare at eyes for 15 minutes. Pull out cape and look at repairs. Try cape on form and pin in place. Put cape back down and make some phone calls. Fix holes in cape. Try cape on form again. Go to lunch. Stare at cape and form for half an hour. Take cape off form and do Bondo/earliners. Stare at the ears for half an hour. Sew up cape. Go to the bathroom. Stare at seam for 15 minutes. Staple up back of cape. Sit and BS with guys who pop in after work. Bag up face and do it tomorrow.

7. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

you know its getting bad when you work so many hours that one day you come in the house during day time.
    You open the door & your daughter yells ,( mom somebodys here).

Get to work Tim, ha ha.

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

Jim, that was hilarious!! especially the " bag face and do it tomorrow" probably cause it really hits home. thanks for a good laugh!!

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Jim, have you been spying on me? LOL Just kidding. I can't change tv channels because I no longer have a tv in my shop. LOL
    That was pretty good. Thanks for the laugh.:)

10. Man having to think about that one I will no longer call us part timers. We hit the shop by 6:00 pm each night monday to Friday work til 12:00 sometimes later. Then Saturday and Sunday off season 9 to 9. In season 8 til.
    Makes me tried just thinking about it.

But we look at it this way with all three kids in college and working. What else would we be doing sitting on the couch watching tv. At the shop we have all the comforts of home. And we make a little money on top of being able to spent time together.

Kim

11. Auggie

Auggie Startem young

I get in about 7 or 8am. Take an hour or so for lunch most days not at any specific time. Come in at about 6pm when the family comes home. Some nights I go out after everyone is in bed for a few hours if I can't sleep because that piece is bothering me or I just need to get something done. This is one of the problems of having your shop at the same site as your home. If it was someplace else you wouldn't go back until the next day. But there is many benefits to having the shop within walking distance to.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO at Jim. Jim, you know it's a shame we don't live closer. Between the two of us, we might actually be able to pull off an honest day's work once or twice a week, huh? LOL

13. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I have to say 70 + hour's 6 day's a week. If I were to change now there would be no light at the end of the tunnel. I to like George tend to live there, after a full day home on Sunday with the wife and kid's usually by choice. lol

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

over 70 hrs? I love my job but I love my family more. 70 during deer season yes, but 40 hrs the rest of the year. If I can't make a living working 40 hrs. on the average, I'll find another profession. Those of you that must work 70 hrs to keep caught up, would most likely gross the same amount of money charging more and taking less work, and actually making much more per hour, but some guys just like to work I guess.

15. 60 hours on a regular bases, 12 months of the year. I am the only full-timer in a town of 24,000. Hunting capitol of the world, South Dakota!!

I've geared my business to big-game & African, has exploded.

Take time though to enjoy the outdoors, I sure do in the fall.

16. I had the TV at the shop turned off because I kept finding the guys setting and watching it. When I come around the corner they would start acting like the where working. Fixed that........It not there anymore. Now all we have is the radio.