1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Adhesive for ear liners

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Boomer Sooner, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner New Member

What is the best adhesive for ear liners. I have only used bondo, but i plan on trying ear liners.

2. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

I use hide paste with a few drops of red paint. I used to use a product called Key Ear Epoxy. It was pink and I really liked it. It is now discontinued and the alternatives are black or yellow in color.

3. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I use roman pro 555 with a little red flock mixed in. But I use celastic earliners, not plastic. I just think the celastic takes adhesive better than plastic, plus they are cheaper.

4. I know a lot of guys say that have great results with hide paste, I however have not have the same luck. About three out of four ears would look amazing, however the one oddball would have a little are of drumming somewhere. I know what most will say, that is do to improper sizing or fleshing. However, I just found that epoxy seemed more consistent in terms of hold and know drumming. I would be interested to hear what people recommend. I would like to try a different ear adhesive, something clear that I can add red flocking too. The stuff I used this year was grey and created a lot of finish paint work. Just a few thought from a fellow newbie.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I use Liquid Fast Set epoxy from Epo-Grip. They sell a Clear Paste that works as well, but I get better coverage with the liquid. It's a 5 minute epoxy so you do one ear at a time. When the epoxy catalyzes, the ear is done and you'll never have to worry about it moving or drumming and you won't have to taxi it for a few days as the hide paste cures.

Now I do have a question for all of you who're using red coloring or red flocking. Do you paint your ears when you're finished?

6. I have been using the Wesco earliner adhesive - is clear and I add red flocking to make is pink. Ordered from Mckenzie - sets in about 20 minutes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

George, it depends on the ear. If I look at the ear and see its gonna need more than a minor dusting of paint because of color, damage , etc. I don't add the flocking, you won't see it anyway if you need much paint. I'm gonna try your adhesive, sounds like good stuff.

8. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

I've had good luck with VanDyke's 2-part Bond-Tite 15-min epoxy. It's pink when mixed, and even though it's advertised as "15-min" set time, it usually takes a little longer to fully set and cure. Plenty of time to taxi the ear skin around if you're slow like I am. It's pretty viscous when mixed up, and it adhears well to anything it touches, so have a little lacquer thinner handy when messing with it :).

9. George

AMEN! When epoxy cures, NOTHING cleans it up short of fire. If you get it in the hair, get it out immediately. If you miss it, you do get one last chance as it will jellify before hardening. You can comb most of it out if you're quick. Lacquer thinner is your only friend when you screw up with epoxy.

10. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I have had mixed results with hide paste. I switched a couple years ago from a tip form Phil, at McKenzie. I use 2 part cartilage ear adhesive. I use this with plastic earliners. I remove the cartlidge prior to mounting the ear. I put a equal amount of a and b on a piece of cardboard. Slip in in the microwave for 5 seconds. It will get thinner and will mix quick and make it very spreadable. I spread on the liner and insert into the ear. Cure time is about 30 min to start to kick and hard after a few hours. The only downturn is that it is a dark grey color. Hope that helps!

11. Ryan I believe that is the same adhesive that I have been using. I like the idea of warming it, not necessarily to ease the mix of the two parts (although anything easier sounds great), but it may make it easier to get a think layer. I have found that if I am not vigilant, I find that I end up with to much epoxy and my ear ends up thicker than I prefer. On top of that I never seem to notice it until after it cures. X2 on the dark grey color, results in an increase in paint time.

12. KatieC

KatieC Active Member

I'm just a beginner and was having a terrible time on practice mounts with drumming in the ears. Then I tried the Epo-Grip Liquid Fast Set and it solved the drumming problem. Great stuff.

13. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Ok, hers a product that you might try. Go to your Hobby Lobby if you have one or go on line to order. In the modeling dept they have a 5 min epoxy that comes in 8 oz of A and 8 oz of B and it sells for $10.00 and works great just like any other 5 min epoxy just cheaper. You can add a touch of paint to it if you like or not done it both ways and for me I cant tell a spits difference either in appearence or hold for that matter.

14. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Hide paste and card well. You guys make this too difficult on yourselves.

15. George

Tim, with that response, it's not US making it complicated. I quit carding and stapling ears 30 years ago. The natural contour inside the ears doesn't lend itself to "carding" as such and with epoxy, after 5 minutes per deer I'm D-O-N-E. No more taxiing, no more monitoring, and no bother with air pockets forming. Now how "complicated" is that?

16. I have good results with the prov555 i add a drop of red ink in and mix well, i still paint most of the time, I'm fairly new to earliners but i found a spray on earlinner prep that works great, Just thin the edges wipe down with thinner and spray the stuff on let it dry and use any hide paste you want

17. duxdown

duxdown New Member

That reminded me, I just ordered a new batch to ramp up for the coming rush. Got on line and ordered 3 16oz kits of extreme power 5 min epoxy and 1oz of extreme thick glue and a bottle of accelerator shipped to my house for 43 bucks.

Just a note for you guys that use super glue like zap a gap thee glue above is just as good and works the same. The glue and accelerator together cost you around 10 bucks for both try ordering that from any where and get that price on zap a gap.

Necessity is the mother of invention is it not.

18. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Well G, once again I must correct you. LOL Proper carding eliminates all the problems you seem to be trying to eliminate with your epoxy. Not my fault if you didn't figure out how to do it correctly 30 years ago. Oh, and yes, 5 minutes is more than enough time for me to do a set of ears, and no I don't need to monitor them. Watching glue dry has to be about as much fun as watching paint dry and grass grow. Proper technique and a single man can build an Egyptian Pryamid.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Pro 1 hide paste works for me.

20. Bondo and a liner, best of both worlds!!