1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Adhesive for ear liners

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Boomer Sooner, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Sleeping Giant, are you using bondo as an adhesive with a ear liner?
    I am asking, still learning...wouldn't that make it to thick??

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Some people didn't get the memo. Bondo IS NOT an adhesive!!!!! But it sure does stick crap together.

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    What is carding ?? ::)

4. I do know that bondo is not an adhesive....therefore my question...just wondering why a person would use bondo with a liner. If that is what he was meaning.
    My thoughts are why use a liner if you are going to use bondo?? It that not defeating the purpose of the liner in the first place?

5. like any other method, the more you use it the better you get at it. I use bondo and a liner and remove the cartilage with the exception of the ear canal. the bondo will fill any voids between liner and ear skin, and when done correctly can be almost as thin as a liner with another type of adhesive. this method is used by a guy from Iowa,pretty good whitetail taxidermist, goes by the name Joe.

6. antlerman

A game that is played with poker cards. Gambling during such carding is illegal in most places, however Vegas has made themselves into a hot spot with legal gaming while carding. Just be careful. Many have lost their ass while carding. GL

7. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Tim, I hope you know I was joking about the carding. I have never done that. And the reason is it all starts with the proper fit.
    I personally use Pro-555 or Bryan's Supreme. But there are alot of glues that will work. The ears on a mount are just like any other part of the mount, the alignment & fit are the most important things !!!
    I don't want any part of my mounts to be "super glued" in 5 minutes where I can not adjust them later ! I mean if that is the case, why not do the whole thing in 5 minute epoxy. I mean if you are going to make the ears where you you can not adjust them, why not the eyes ??? I don't understand the logic. Some guys say I use 5 minute epoxy and I don't have to worry about the ears after that. Well, why not do the eyes the same way ??
    There is NOTHING on one of my mounts I want set in 5 minutes !! Maybe others are alot better than I am but I want the option to adjusting later if I want to. I never have anything set right right away or the first time !!

8. antlerman

Of course I did Heath. Just reading my intellegent response should have been a clue.. LOL
    But I agree with you wholeheartedly. My sentiments exactly.
    I do however card, and monitor as well. I also use BS hide paste. It's just that I never have to really do anything to them once carded. They hold good.
    I tried and hated that epoxy crap. I want control.
    I only found bondo to my liking until Yox taught me his way of carding.
    Once appling his method, I found what works.
    I must admit...Yox ain't very pretty....but he taught me some valuable chit.

9. Heath Cline

Ohio
    You are right, Yox aint much to look at but he does know some things about whitetails !! LOL Atleast enough to get by !! HAHAHAHA

10. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Elmers glue with red construction paper in it works pretty good! ;D

11. Heath Cline

Ohio
    You would be surprised what adhesives work if the ear skin & earliner fit !!!! I have tested ALOT !!!!!!!!!!! And I have some that are 20 years old & still no drumming !!

12. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

I bet Elmers would work! if the ear fit was proper, like you said.

13. Heath Cline

Ohio
    What everyone must understand is no matter what adhesive you use, a proper fit is VERY important !!

14. antlerman

Yes it is.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I concur Heath, and Tim. A tight ear will drum, needs a little slack to stay where you park it. All the epoxies guys have boasted about posted above, I had drumming with all of them, proper fit is key.

16. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

I know this is old, but I awaken it.

I know there are great ear adhesives that I can order from taxidermy supplies however I have been a bondo guy because that is the method i learned from the pro I hired. It would be foolish to hire a pro and disregard his methods. Although it would be foolish to put on the blinders and only do the methods he showed me. I constantly browse my taxidermy catalogs and I want to play with different methods. One day I would like to try a full repo nose or use a 25 dollar set of eyes well the day has came for me to try ear liners. I bought a set and am going to try them on one of my personal deer.

I want to know if I could use something like 5 min apoxy from lowes or another product I can just go buy locally. I don't want to buy 35 dollars worth of ear liner glue and I only use the method once. Tell me your thoguhts

17. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Yes. Hobby Lobby has an absolutely fantastic 5min epoxie, it's all I use for earliners. It's in with the models and airbrush isle.

18. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Thanks randy

19. Proper fitting ear liners that are preped and ruffed up vary well and white Acrylic calking. I have done over 400 deer and never had any drum. Some of my first work is over 13 years old with not any drumming or splitting.

20. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

I used Mcenzie real ears for the first time this year. It worked ok, but it sure makes a mess if you have a hole somewhere or you get it on your finger without knowing it. You need to make sure that the ear skin is loose on the inside and make sure you press the air and extra glue out daily until dry.