1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would make a great first time duck?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SirThomas, Oct 25, 2012.

1. SirThomas

SirThomas New Member

In the future, I'd like to work on a swimming or diving duck. In your experiences, what duck was the "easiest" to work with?

I'm guessing Mallard, but hey, I could be wrong.

I want to gather supplies before duck before season and stock up on reference.

Would any of you like to share your first duck photos?

2. spk1142

spk1142 Member

if you can get a sea duck they have tuffer skin. Mallards are pretty thin on the back and tear easily when wheeling if not experienced.

3. My first duck was this teal, I would not recommend a teal (or a mallard) for a first duck though. Any of your divers should be easier to deal with, ringnecks, scaup, cans... Ultimately however, it really comes down to whatever you can get your hands on. If its a Mallard, then go for it!

Attached Files:

4. JustinNH

JustinNH New Member

Mine were sea ducks... the skin was very forgiving to me as I learned the fleshing wheel. I am thankful to whoever originally told me to start with a sea duck or a diver in general.

5. Divers...my favorite...Bufflehead.

6. Avian Preservation

Avian Preservation New Member

Buffleheads are great first time ducks(or anytime), divers having "tougher" skin than dabbling ducks