1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Bear nose fake or real

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Artie mags, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

Just curious what everyone else likes.I have used the fake noses for bear and I have used the real nose.Me personally I prefer the real thing.Just find it easier and more natural looking

2. I normally use the real thing

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i think the only way to go is with the real nose...i would like to see a mount in 20 years with the fake nose and see if the blended area around the nose is holding up good..

4. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

On bears I use the real deal. Just to easy. The only artifical nose I use is on a hog.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

real

6. Crittercoroner

Crittercoroner DUDE, your uselessness is epic!

nj
    The real nose is the way to go if epoxy work isn't your thing. Either would be good in the hands of someone with some skill.

As for longevity, I would think that sooner or later, the seam is going to show, meaning it's going to crack to some extent, with the artificial nose.

The only thing that gets artificial at work is open mouth rug shells or the new snap together heads, and that's because they come with the noses.

Blending the two together is another option provided you can do epoxy work.

7. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Fake for this hack!

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Good to see so many guys say REAL. Although I understand the ease of reproduction parts and have used them many times, I don't care for them in the long run. I think it stems from fish taxidermy for which I have a strong attachment to. These days if you use any real fish parts other than the skin you cannot really compete anymore...at least in fish "competition". Reproduction noses and other products have their place IMO, BUT not as the GO TO method. I like to keep as much of the original animal as I can.

9. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Real noses look real, fake noses look fake

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Real here.

11. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Real skin over the fake nose on some if you want the inner detail correct. The big bears you need to learn that clay is your friend.

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Real nose for me. I have been molding the real ones in alginate for reference. I't amazing how they vary from bear to bear

13. dhart

dhart Active Member

I like using real, unless the nose is tore up from fighting.

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

I use the real nose most of the time.