1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WHITTAX, Oct 29, 2012.

1. WHITTAX

WHITTAX New Member

I'm new to taxidermy and was looking for a better way to tan the hides other than dryP. I was thanking about the pickling, but a taxidermist was telling me about krowtann and how you didn't have to keep up with the ph. Well krowtann be just as good as pickling, all I have been mounting is deer and small game. Don't have much working time with the dryP.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Krowtann is basically a pickle. The pickle is only part of the tanning process. I flesh and turn everything, salt, pickle, neutralize, Liqua-tan,and oil with liqua-soft. Pickling is considered an optional step and is one that I feel gives me a better tan although I have no proof to offer on that.

3. Tanglewood, sorry but you are wrong about krowtann.

Whitman, just follow the direction on the Krowtann and you will be fine. You can make soft leather with it. You dont have to watch it nearly like other and the steps are on the website.
    www.krowtann.com

4. Tanglewood is fairly correct on this. It has mineral agents in it, but in its most basic chemistry, it is a pickle. I have seen too many mounts crack and split in the nose and eye areas over time to prove any different. Still a decent preservative and I have used it myself.

5. although...I have to add...pickling is by far more than an optional step.

6. Ok if you have seen mounts crack from it, then I have to wonder why? I have been using it for years a lot of years!! I have not had any mount crack that I have used Krowtann on, plus I have used it for making soft leather.

But on the cracking thing, thats all depending on who mounts the animal! It called bad technique, it is not a condition of the tan or even dry preservative.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have several pieces of deer hide that I soft tanned with various tans including Krowtann and quite frankly they all look,smell,and feel about the same. I feel that if the majority of professional tanneries use salt, use a pickle, a tanning compound, and a neutralizing step and it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. I stand by my statement that even though Krowtann has oils and tannages in it, it's more pickle than any thing else. I just don't see how you can throw all that stuff together and get it all to work out the same way as if you did them in separate stages. I have used Krowtann several times and it made a mountable skin, but I like the other tans I tried better for various reasons.