1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

should i get the dakota IV or dakota 5

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

I do abbout 40 deer a year.Never have used either but wondering what you guys would recoomend the dakota IV or dakota 5. Theres about a $200 difference

2. striker12

striker12 Member

The 4 iz not going to do what you want. Its more of a detail flesher. Go with the 5.

3. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Ive got more time than money though lol.Will it take me down as thin as if want to do though, just a smaller blade than the 5?

4. Get the 5 if you can afford it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

Keep an eye on the for sale section. Im going to have a V on there in about three weeks. I just dont have time to get it ready to ship right now, the rut is coming and Im heading out with a bow and a truck load of traps for a couple of weeks

6. verne

verne Well-Known Member

the pro.

7. I bought a IV to start with and used it for 3 years without another machine. I have fleshed deer, elk, boars...you get what I'm saying. It will do the job but takes time for sure compared to the larger machine I also now have. I still use the IV on deer from my area here in FL due to the fact they are almost thin enough after fleshing and I use it to do all detail stuff around faces and such. I'm glad I have both but if I had to only have one of them, it would be a larger machine.

8. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Buy the PRO. A bit more money but 5 times the machine. There is one For Sale on here Right NOW.

9. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

iwhy does the 5 save so much more time,does it have A bigger blade? or does it shave thinner?

10. The 4 has a cut width of about 2". The 5 or Pro will have a 4-5" cut due to the larger blade they have. The 5 and pro have twice the motor/power and will get you thin quicker. The 4 will get as thin, just more passes to get there and on thick skins it will be passes over passes...more time.

11. John L

John L Active Member

I have a 4 with a good blade I prefer it over the big one. However, I only do 10-15 a year. But I have done an elk on it and I thought my arms were going to fall off. If you can get the big one get it. I only like the little one because I can stand and see over it well.

12. paul e

paul e New Member

The Pro all the way
    macnined out of alum.
    s.s. guards that wont rust
    easy blade change
    great investment

13. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Time is Money brother. Go with the 5.

Best, Steve

14. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Got a pro last year after doing evrything by hand for the first few years. Well worth the extra money if you have it.

15. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I have a 5 and do detail with it as well, just takes getting use to. Get the 5 as a good starter.

16. craigjw

craigjw http://www.back2lifetaxidermy.com

Get the pro saves soooo much time on maintenance alone. It will not rust, I clean it once per year, and let it go from there without worrying about rusting. Could not imagine if I had to clean it after each use.