1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first deer with a mane

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by doublelung, Oct 30, 2012.

1. doublelung

doublelung Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to taxidermy still learning also do it as a hobby. Need some help with a deer I shot the other night, it has a mane about half way down its neck and its about 12'' long it don't go the entire length of his neck. My silly question is how do you make the incision, do you cut next to it or do you cut through the center because its center line of the neck where you would normally make long incision. Thanks in advance. Hope its not a dumb question. Thanks.

2. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    I would use a short Y incision going down the center of the mane. Taking your time when you sew it back up and keeping the hair out of your stitches will help ensure the mane lays back down naturally.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    As stated right down the center using caution while cutting to not cut hairs and when sewing to keep hair out of seam. Easy to hide seam when done right.

4. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    If possible, keep your Short Y incision above where the mane starts, that's what I have been able to do on the few I've done with manes

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Keep in mind that alot of times, the mane will not lay down as the foliclies are growning in another direction. Like stated, I would try and keep my incision short and above the mane if possible.

6. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

Skin it bur to bur and don't cut the mane...DC

7. doublelung

doublelung Member

Thanks y'all, I will give it a whirl and let ya know how it went. :)

8. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

Cut down the center like everyone else has instructed you and you can use a gut-hook to cut it and it works great and doesn't cut any hair because it is cutting from underneath out and not through the hair. You can use it on every deer, not just the long haired ones. Lay a bead of clay under the incision before you sew it back up and you'll be in good shape.

9. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

IMO I would NOT cut the mane at all. Avoid it. It is tough to get "manes" to look good if you sew right through them. Go off center a little and is a much easier seam. That's how I do it.