1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Degreaser

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Copied this from another post, just a bit different. Works awesome!

Attached Files:

2. insulate those tubs and you will save power. lower your bill and put more money in your pocket

3. Do you ever have problems matching nose bones or teeth? Also, with all the heads in the same water, do you worry about getting all the grease out efficiently?

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Really nice!

5. have seen this set up, but what temp you running

6. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Teeth's always fit only into one socket and it's basic knowledge to know how incisors,canines,premolars and morals looks like.

7. I was just curious. Even though I'm just a dumb ol' fireman, I've been able to figure out how to get teeth back in. Perhaps I should have worded my question better. How wise is it to cross contaminant multiple heads in a single vat of solution?

8. My temp has been running 118 degrees, thats as high as the factory setting will allow! No worries on the teeth, deer teeth really dont fall out.......If they do, i glue them back in. I degrease each deer until its clean, u can see whn its clear in the bone.

9. Are you using a lower water heater thermostat? I got some from Lowes that go way past 125 degrees. Not that I would run them that high. I usually run a little over 120. But they seem to work great.

10. No, the heat off the hot water heater runs through the Pex pipe and heats it

11. Oh ok, I was just wondering

12. caseramics

caseramics New Member

Looks nice and professional

So the system is closed and separate from your homes hot water?

How often do you have to add water to the system?

How do you have it circulating through the sinks?

13. Caseramics, I havent had to fill it yet, it doesnt leak or steam off so im not sure i will have to fill it. I will try to post another pic later of the plumbing part on the tank, but there is a boiler pump on the wall just to the left of the tank you can barely see

14. caseramics

caseramics New Member

makes sense that you would retain all your water
    im guessing you control flow by throttling the ball valves and i sure like the idea of hands free on changing out the water in the sinks i'll be watching your progress this system interests me the most of what i've seen

15. would advise on insulationg those pipes and tubs,water heater will run less

16. gohunt

gohunt New Member

It wouldn't be difficult to make some wire baskets to place under each head to help isolate teeth and bones to the correct head.

17. Gohunt, when i do bear or coyotes i put them in ziplock bags with straight ammonia and Ajax, i found a local groceery store that carries 2 1/2 gallon ziplocks and they work great!!!! Have had much success doing this and not loosing teeth.....

18. skinandbonesartistry

skinandbonesartistry New Member

Kurt, I am glad to see that you got the system working. I had some trouble getting my system up past 120 degrees. I decided to cut off the little limiting tang on the water heater thermostat. the water heater should handle a lot hotter than 125. Mine has been running like that for a long time. All of my tanks run at 125 and rarely ever get lower than that.

I have been running this system for a few years and I usually get 7 or 8 deer at a time. I never worry about teeth and upper palate because they all only fit one hole. Easy to sort out.

When I do antlerless skulls I can fit up to about 12-15 bears at a time. Smaller skulls a lot more. If you put bears in with the antlered skulls the bear grease seems to stain the antlers so I never mix them anymore.

With antlerless skulls I also put each skull into a mesh bag for degreasing. I buy the paint strainer bags from Lowes. they are nylon and very cheap. You can get gallon size for small things and 5 gallon size for large things.

19. Thought I would pass along my new system. Used to heat with lower electric heating elements but was getting a little costly. So far, the season is young, this seems to be working very well. I am only using the large tank right now because the pump on the small one failed on me. Both pumps are "used" pumps. I use a gas water heater which is on the other side of the wall in the garage area. I am maintaining around 115 degrees all the time. As you can see in the one picture, I also use zip lock freezer bags with fiberglass insulation in them to help keep heat and humidity in the tank. Both tanks have 2 inch foam on all sides, top and bottom.
    Yes,Toxic, I got this idea from seeing you tank last year.

Attached Files:

20. Trying to repost the other picture. Not sure way it is so small??
    Nope, that didn't work. Sorry

Attached Files: