1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guess the age!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by buckmaster14, Nov 4, 2012.

1. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

I shot this buck off my food plot saturday for what i thought was poor genetics... He weighed 170

I confirmed what i thought afterwards... so, how old do u think this deer is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks of the body I would say 1 1/2 maybe 2 1/2

3. 1 1/2 year old

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Looks like a typical yearling (1 1/2) buck. He'll taste great.

5. countrycritter

countrycritter Active Member

Texas
    1 1/2 yrs old

6. buckmaster14

Heres a pic of my buddies 1.5 year old spike for size comparison. The muzzle on his deer was about 3 inches shorter than my 6.

[​IMG]

7. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Show a pic of the jawbone.

8. hookhead19

hookhead19 New Member

id say 2 years old

9. 1 1/2

10. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

what was the measuremnet E-N on your buddies buck? 3 inches??

11. buckmaster14

Last pic... 6 point head on top... spike head on bottom.

[​IMG]

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

You shot this deer because of what you called bad genetics??? Are you for real? Please get out of the woods before you hurt yourself, or someone else.

This is a young deer growing his first rack. You just killed a future B&C deer. No wonder you never kill or see anything worth seeing. Your daddy ought to slap you silly son.

I sure hope you have it mounted. Someone needs to make you pay for your stupidity. Hell, my 12 year old knows better than to do that. If youre hungry and need the meat, then go for it. But if youre the big trophy hunter that you portray yourself to be.............WHY? Makes no sense.

Please change your name to bambi killer. I see you topped your first feat by killing a spike also, and loping the BIG RACKS off. You the man dude...you the man.

Congratulations. Job well done.

13. buckmaster14

OK.. post ends here.. Thanks antlerman.

Jaw bone showed 2.5 years old.

This small a rack on a 2 year old here is terrible. I talked to the guy who holds the #4 state record in nc, and he said it was a good call, and this guy knows what hes talking about.

14. antlerman

Jaw bone showed 2.5 years old.

B U L L S H I T!!!!

Look, I apologize. Sorry for my comments, but please understand that you will never have a chance at taking a good deer if you kill off all the young. I know your young too and probably are as excited as hell. I always killed the first thing I saw when I was young too. We've all done it. But YOU have been on here for awhile now and should know what a good deer is. I'm sorry. I guess I just expected more from you. The truth is.... They will never grow up if you don't let them.

Sorry for being such a hard ass about it. I know it took us years to ever get good deer here in Illinois, but we did after preaching, "Let them Go so they can GROW!!

15. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

Why would you want to put all that time and money into food plots, and putting up stands. Post a pic of some big rubs then you and your buddy whack a couple one year olds..what gives man?

16. Both deer are 1 1/2. That spike was just a late born fawn.

17. buckmaster14

Jaw Bone indicated 2.5 im not lying. Also... my buddy who killed the spike, is mentally disabled due to a bad car wreck 3 years ago, so i dont give a damn what he kills.

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

8)

19. antlerman

all good buckmaster. It's all good.

Just know that teeth wear is only a starting point in properly aging a deer. A deer can show wear beyond his age depending on diet and his cude chewing habits. An early born fawn can replace his milk tooth by 1 1/2 and replace it with his permenant two crested tooth, which normally doesn't happen until he is 2. Again, hard to determine age by that alone. Other things to look at is his burr to pedical relationship. This deer shows being a 1 1/2 year old due to his burrs have not started to really develop yet. Short of a cross cut of a tooth, or having viewed the deer as he grew, it is a guess, albeit an educated guess, all things that we can see point towards the younger guess. ;)

I would love to see the entire lower jaw. ;D

20. You guys are being pretty hard on the guy. He's doing what he thinks, or is being told, is right. I could think of a lot worse the young man could be doing than killing young deer.

BTW, I see a 2 1/2 year old deer there. :p