1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Academy of Realistic Taxidermy, Montana

Discussion in 'Training' started by Trina, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Trina

Trina Guest

Hey everyone!
    Just thought I'd let everybody know that I just finished the 8 week fall course at Academy of Realistic Taxidermy in Havre, Montana. It was a learning experience I will never forget... I'd done a ton of homework on taxidermy courses and schools, and decided that if I was going to do it, I was gonna do it right, and so I went to A.R.T. for their full 8 week course, as opposed to a shorter length course somewhere else.
    The owners, Steve and Kim Faechner made the entire course enjoyable, a perfect example of home away from home. I didn't want to leave. Seriously.
    My classmates were awesome! I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to live with for 2 months ;D. And to think, I was worried. Haha. We all got along great, and had an absolute blast through the entire class! An awesome group of people I will never forget!
    The instructors were incredible, cramming our heads with as many different techniques and tricks imaginable. I'm still coming down from it all. We were taught by Steve Faechner, Joe Kaiser, Clay Wagner, and Danny Owens. Four super talented people in the taxidermy business. I'm still remembering little tid-bits of information I didn't write down. And now I'm back here in California, ordering a ton of equipment, and getting my business started.
    By the way, the fishing in Montana is great! (Thanks Steve & Joe!)

So...In closing, if anyone is looking to go to a taxidermy school where you learn more then you ever thought possible, I highly recommend A.R.T. I promise you, it will be an experience you'll be glad you participated in!

2. cathunt

cathunt New Member

What did you find in your homework that put them on top of your list?????

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Good to hear your positive comments,Trina.Now the trick is to start as many projects as possible so you don`t forget things!It`s also good to hear things are going well for Steve and Kim.Congrats

4. Trina

Trina Guest

I liked the variety of instructors, the length of the course, the location the school, and of course the subjects being covered. :)

5. Steve Does runs a top notch school. I'm glad you enjoyed it trina

6. cathunt

cathunt New Member

Sorry, what set them apart from other schools ? And did the whole class mount the same animals or did you get to pick what you mounted?

7. Trina

Trina Guest

To answer your questions, cathunt:
    A variety of things. :) The instructors (!), subjects covered, location of the school, my talk with Steve, and the fact that student housing was provided. I read, prior to making my decision, that the whole class would be mounting the same animals, and I was leaning towards that. I didn't want to get done mounting a lifesize muskrat and have someone else still thinning a bear, I felt that I would have learned more if the whole class attempted the same mounts, so that everyone moved at the same pace. Now that I'm back, I feel comfortable enough to mount whatever I want.

8. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Trina, I am seriously considering A.R.T. but am still undecided of which I will attend. Could you tell me which other schools you considered and why you might have not chosen them. Thanks, Kenny @ [email protected]

9. Trina

Trina Guest

It also helps that there were no hidden costs, and the specimens were included in the tuition. Not to mention the shop was open 24-7, and an instructor was always available. Nice for those who wanted to spend extra time on mounts, and for those who wanted to ask one on one questions with the course instructor.

10. cathunt

cathunt New Member

I hope you do great. and good luck

11. Trina

Trina Guest

Thanx! ;D

12. wendell

wendell Member

do they have a web site?

13. Trina

Trina Guest

14. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    That's great Trina

15. john zarate

john zarate Guest

I too am a graduate of A.R.T. and back up every thing that trina says. it is a great school with awsome master taxidermist showing you all the aspects of the craft as well as the bussiness. Steve runs a incredible school and haveing the housing right there and the classrooms open 24/7 was great , I worked on pices at 2 a.m. because i just wanted to. You will spend a little more mony there but to have the finest master taxidermists (most are national champions ) it is worth it , not to mention the contacts you make with them. I'm in contact with all of them and they are more than willing to help me with any quetions that i might have. I looked around at other schools but felt this ofered me with every thing I was looking for plus there were no hidden fees. I graduated in the summer of '04 and when i got home i hit the ground running and haven't looked back. A.R.T is a fine school and would do it all over again if i had to. Well worth the 1300 mile car trip getting there.
    full rut taxidermy
    John Zarate

16. rhonda green

rhonda green New Member

I am a parent of a very near student to A.R.T, and i must say that in the two months of preparation, i have been in contact with Steve and Kim several times (a parent thing lol) and they have been extremely personable and helpful in this transition we are about to embark upon! I too have done a huge amount of research on schools and have found this place to not only be the best, but a true home away from home for these younger students. A.R.T has the experience, dedication, and the real passion for what they do, and thats another great aspect of their school. I am extremely happy with our choice!

17. andyjsr

andyjsr New Member

Do they accept The GI Bill? how much is the long course?