1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question about using stop rot on freezer burnt fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by DicksTaxidermy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Wondering if anyone used this and how they used it if it worked. Thanks

2. Craig W

Craig W New Member

Simply soaking a fish in water will bring moisture back into it.I have added stop rot to water a couple times and was able to skin out fish that I didnt think I was going to be able to skin out.Whether it made a difference,I dont know for sure.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Also, what kind of fish matters as well along with how badly burnt it is? Some fish, like Crappies are actually easier to skin out with a little freezer burn. And, I've skinned out Smallies and LM Bass that were badly freezer burned. And after loosening them up a bit in cold water, they were actually easier to skin than w/o the freezer burn. The meat just peeled away easily. On the flipside, I had a pike once that was SO badly freezer burned, it wouldn't come back. It was like a dried up combat boot even after sitting in cold water for many hours. I probably could have tried skinning it. But, I did not want to waste the time IF I was going to lose it. It was also bent like a banana and wouldn't straighten out - so getting a tracing was also difficult. So, I just called my customer and I ended up tossing it....

4. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Iolzdddpooos

[​IMG]13754 Rosie Ln, Herriman, UT 84096, USAooooooppppppppp

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

Just soak it in cold water. I do it to all my fish regardless.

6. Dry tissue tonic!