1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

removing hide from antler burr

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by iggletaxi08, Nov 16, 2012.

1. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

Large screwdriver. Small ones will not work. Never stabbed myself.

2. I use a flathead screwdriver and my hands usually wind up bleeding every time but it works

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have some prime swamp land for sale too. If you truly haven't, you will. Why the hell would I beat a screwdriver with a 5 pound hammer. The SHARP chisel works like a scalpel and all it takes is gentle pressure. Don't guess you can cure stupid.

4. How much you want for that swamp land George!!! ;D

5. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

6. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

I've been cutting all the way around the antler burr with a craft knife and then make my "Y" incision and when you run the knife under the skin it Comes free easily Saves me tons of time doing it that way and no SlippIng with the chisel and causing damage.

7. dablaw

dablaw Member

Take a gear puller and pull the antlers up just enough to get the skin out of the way...Then let the antler back down...

8. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I just start mine at the y and underscore a couple of time's and pull the majority of it off by hand.

9. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

X2..very little effort involved. Never stabbed myself so i guess I havent done enough yet.

10. Mason

Mason Active Member

X3

11. iggletaxi08

iggletaxi08 Member

lots of good helpful tips, thanks all, ive been working at it the last week with a screwdriver that has been sharpened a little, seems to work a little.

12. I use 1 #22 scalpel blade to skin whole deer including cutting around antler burrs. There are no stray slices or hair left on skull cap. I've used screwdriver and did stab myself. I've also used chisel and didn't think it worked any better than scalpel blade.

13. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Re: Re: removing hide from antler burr

Exacto

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

14. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

That's definitely the way to do it, I've done it like that for years and have never had issues.

15. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Rock your knife in an upward motion toward the burr, stay against the bone. Or get a butter knife and a hammer.

16. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Large flat screw driver. Just work it around the burr. Quick,easy no problems with stabing myself either. Just be careful

17. I have always used a sharp pointed knife and a little pulling. It works great for me.