1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hide pulling from antler burrs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by iggletaxi08, Nov 16, 2012.

1. iggletaxi08

iggletaxi08 Member

i have had some hide pulling from my burrs real bad as it dries. what could i be doing wrong? how can i fix this? dremel and tack into the bone? apoxy sluptl under skin around the burr? just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they have done to fix it.

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Good hide paste is a must. I sew around the burr like a coin purse draw string (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the edge) and once more at the cut and back to the other cut and tie up tight. Be sure to have every thing in place. No nails or pins.

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Also check the antler set, they may be on the high side. had this problem in the past and since I have been paying more attention to it I have not had it happen again.

4. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

A smear of epoxy clay and epoxy hide paste and no more slipping.............

5. a roll of spoxie scupt before you sew it up, then push the skin so that you are pushing the apoxie tight against the burr with the skin in between.

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

All mentioned above helps. I've tried them all. My issue is that the skin slides down from the burr, usually on the back side near the ears. So I assume it has something to do with the ears. Maybe the ear butts are too fat, or too thin. Maybe they are too long. I don't really know for sure because it still happens sometimes. Maybe the form is too fat in the back of the head area. Can't seem to pin it down.
    I look forward to hearing more suggestions that come in on this .

7. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I use super glue GELL. Works great.

8. Alive Again

Alive Again New Member

Good hide paste and 5-6 paneling nails tacked 1/2"- 1" under the burr around each one until dry. Never had a problem with them pulling with this method. Just be sure to tack the nails in going the same direction as the hair is laying. After dry, pull nails and groom area and you wont even be able to find the holes. I use Buckeye supreme and never had one pull with this method.

9. good hide paste and make sure you have it Thinned !!!!!

10. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Like Alive Again, I use the hide paste/paneling nails combination. If I get pulling behind the burr like you've explained, I use an applicator to cover the exposed area with mod podge and remove some hair from the backside of the mount and simply place it in the void.

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I also use nails as it's drying. First and foremost is to make sure the antlers are set correctly and not pulling on the hide.

12. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

Like others have said, thin to cape down good, and make sure the antlers are set correctly. Also I use Jaw Juice around the burr and take a nylon wire tie (used to wrap around electical wires and such) after I've sewn everything up tight and wrap one around each burr as close to the bottom of the burr/top of the cape as I can and leave it for a day or so, and no problems.

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Making sure the antlers are set right will eliminate the problem. That, and apoxie paste around the burrline. Once that dries, it's not going anywhere.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I haven't used a nail in 30 Yeats. Matt nailed it IMO. Additionally, instead of a single stitch I use 3 to insure the hide is purse-stringed into position.

15. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

like Jim said, super glue gel. done.

16. Re: hide pulling from antler burrs

Like some others, i do a purse stitch around the Burr but found in the past that when my hide was pulling from the back even if the rack was aligned right that i was not rolling the hide up the Burr correctly. I stitch it and use gorilla glue around them. But I've found that if you don't actually roll the skin up the Burr and tuck it back to where it was when you took it apart it will pull away. Its easy to put a bunch of clay in the ear and it get in the way at the base of the Burr and it doesn't allow your skin to set against the bone but mearly lay our tuck against the clay in which it doest super glue to. Hope this helps.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire