1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Virginia is it legal to purchase off of this site?

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Nov 18, 2012.

1. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

I am really wanting to buy some stuff on the Taxidermy.net here but am wondering if it is illegal? Could someone please clear this up for me. From what I have read I can't purchase or sell anything! http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/laws/buying-selling.asp

Thanks for any help here!

2. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I`d go by whatever your state says and not what anyone on here says. I have noticed most trappers have no clue not just anyone can sell furs or buy them without a dealers lisc, record keepping and giving receipts and reporting the income for tax purposes. if the feds or state knocks on their or their customers doors, oh well. we all are responcipble for our own due diuligence and ignorance of the law is no excuse. so don`t ask here, ask the law.

3. Here are two exerpts from it.

"When taken in accordance with the provisions of law or regulation, muskrat, opossum, rabbits, raccoon and squirrels may be bought and sold during the open hunting season only, but the hides, furs or pelts of fur-bearing animals legally taken and possessed, and the carcass of any fur-bearing animal may be sold at any time…" (§ 29.1-536)

Because the Lacey Act restricts the interstate transport of birds and other animals, federal laws prohibit moving fish and wildlife into the state if they were illegally taken elsewhere. Therefore, if you make a wildlife purchase from an out-of-state supplier, the species must have been legally collected, propagated, and/or sold according to the laws of that state.

But as Bob said I would simply call up your local dnr office and ask them not us. We are not state game officials we are simply other taxidermists. In the end we don't make the law they do. Like in Michigan we have to have a fur buyers license, you might have to purchase some form of license there also.

4. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks guys! I will check with them.

5. Nightweaver

Nightweaver Member

I called Fish and Wildlife in VA just last month. A friend and myself were scammed by a girl in VA (who has flownthe coop and moved to NY) I explained how we were scammed and if they or the police could do anything.

They told me right off the bat; it is unlawful to sell anything taxidermy in VA.

Then made a police report on the scammer. Granted, they have yet to go get the fox pelt we are owed but the report has been made and aside from mail faud and larcony she can get slapped with conducting illegal activities if we fly out there to serve her in court. :/ It's a mess.

Maybe it varies on counties though? The lady sounded firm about it being illegal but that's what she told me.

6. As Final Touch said above is legal but you need a liscense to sell the furs. It's painful, long and tedious but read your code of Virginia, it's all in there. For instance when it comes to bears anything out of state is illegal, but if killed within the state is okay. I would not suggest calling the wardens however because you can ask two different wardens the same question and get two different answers, it's all in how they perceive the law. You'd have to try and get a hold of VA game and fish.

Nightweaver not sure of your situation with the fox, if it's a fur or actually mounted fox. But I know in VA you can't mount something just for the sole purpose of selling it. However if it was for a customer and was never picked up you must try to collect payment and keep documentation and then you can sell it to recover loss.

It definately sucks the rules are a little vague and alot of grey area, but alot of them were written a long time ago. If you do get ahold of someone that spells out the rules for you I'd try to get it in writing to cover your butt.

7. DavidB

DavidB Member

Even bears in VA cannot be sold or bought within the state. No part of them. If you have a fur buyer license then you can buy or sale. You can buy any big game animal that is legal to sell as long as you document the purchase and it can be proven legal, which is the salers responsibility. You can buy any african skin that is in the USA except those covered under CITES. Years ago I did alot of research and phone calls on this so nothing would come back to bite me and nothing has changed except the new bobcat laws with tagging.

8. bob wendt

a lot of trappers sell on here with the mistaken idea their trappers lisc allows them to sell furs to other states or taxidermists without dealers lisc.. not true. and those illegal guys can sell cheaper without the liscencing and receipts and record keeping cots that legal sellers have. and reporting the income legal sellers are required to do. a heads up on two things, anyone buying these illegal things, if you get cauight, boo hoo. and trappers selling these illegal things, boo hoo twice. you deal with crooks and you will eventually get buyrned. if you are a crook you will eventially get cxaught. it would seem to me not having a criminal record and retaining your trapping or taxidermy liscence would surely take priority over buying illegal items to save very few dollars. what amazes me is potential buyers on here never ask , are you legal, do I get a receipt with your dealers lisc # on it?

9. Eva

Eva Member

I think the original question is if you live in Virginia, can you buy things from outside of Virginia and have it shipped into Virginia for personal use as long as such things were legally obtained in the other state and that possession of such items is legal in Virginia. In such a case it can and often is argued that the sale did not occur IN Virginia but in the state the items came from. Thus it would not be 'selling in Virginia' and would be 'receiving in Virginia' and potentially not subject to selling laws in Virginia, depending on how the laws in Virginia were written and how they are currently interpreted and enforced. As a seller, I too am interested in how that gets interpreted state by state.

Nightweaver's scenario is different. In her case, it was someone based in Virginia selling out of Virginia to others. In such a case it is clearly selling in Virginia and subject to that set of laws, as set of laws that IMO are asinine, but never the less had best be abided by!
    -Eva

10. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks everyone for all the info. I saw that a guy was selling some dead copperheads on here and was interested in getting one of them. Eva, I think you nailed it. The laws are if you sell (in) Va. If I buy the specimen out of state then its only subjected to the laws of the state where the transaction has happen. Still need to make the call. Just need to find the time and make a list of questions I want to ask. I am completely new to this and was wondering how you all handle it. Thanks everyone.

Ken

11. DavidB

DavidB Member

Just read your last post and I will tell you one more thing. I understand about the purchase from another state and the "sale" not in VA, but they can still get you once it comes to you because you must have a fur buyer license to receive it. If it is a fur animal. Now the copperhead, I have had many discussions with game wardens and in VA the copperhead and rattlesnake are protected. So you cannot buy them. I had a copperhead that was run over and give to me and was told that I could not have it or mount it since it was protected. If you would like to contact me for more info I would be happy to share the things that I have learned over the years about VA law and how to protect yourself. Thanks.

12. bob wendt

it`s kind of like the ref. tells the boxers....protect yourself at all times. keep in mind f and g officers often their goel is not protect wildlife but burn folks that just fail to protect themselves. kinda like the wolves look for the weak one in the herd. ignorance of the law won`t cut it and if you look to be ignorant they will definitly zero in onmyou and burn you as if you were running a million dollar poaching ring, lol their dream arrest. they need to justify their existance and their perceived iomportance in the world. know the laws, obey them, then no worries.

13. Eva

Eva Member

Ken, this stuff is tricky and I would be very interested in what you find out if you can find the time to post it here. If they are saying 'parts' then what about a coyote claw? What about a turkey feather? Does a fur license cover those? Does a woman in Virginia need to have a fur buyers license to buy a fur coat for xmas over there!?! I'd guess off hand that is not the case, but she may need a license to sell it.

Then in some cases there is sometimes additional confusion about indigenous animals vs not. There is a guy in California selling rattlesnake rattles. I thought selling rattlesnake parts was illegal here. You can kill 2 per year but you can't sell any parts of it. BUT. He claims that law is on indigenous rattle snakes and his rattles come from not native do not live in California out of state rattlesnakes so that makes them legal to sell in California. I do not know if that interpretation is correct or not personally and even if it is correctly interpreted for California, it may not be so in some other state. There is another law in California where they banned sale of kangaroo parts. But then they enacted ANOTHER temporary law extending the legality of the roo stuff for another few years. So you will see the law saying roo is banned here, but it's actually not if you consider the other temporary reprieve on the first law. Heh. You could go CRAZY trying to figure this stuff out sometimes!
    -Eva

14. bob wendt

heck eva, everyone knows everything is illegal in california except gay lesbian mariage, pot, and bankruptcy.

15. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

What about illegitimate children and welfare?

16. Eva

Eva Member

Well actually, I'd rather be selling out of here in Cali then in VIRGINIA!! Sheesh! ;-P (plus I am addicted to the really nice weather..)
    -Eva

17. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Ya I guess Virginia is really tight on this stuff. Sounds like I need to get a Fur License. Thanks for the help everyone!