1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EHD safe to eat

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by krollh, Nov 19, 2012.

1. krollh

krollh Active Member

My nephew shot this deer Sat.
    I'm sure it survived a bout with EHD. Many died in our area from it this year. This deer's hooves had the tell tale rings or separation about halfway down from the coronet band.
    The deer was pretty thin, not skin and bones, but about 30 some pounds lighter than he should have been. Besides that he looked pretty healthy. I saw nothing else about him that looked off. I would not have classified him as sick, just thin, about like a doe at the end of summer that is drawn down from suppling milk to a couple of fawns. If I had not known about the disease killing them off in the area I would probably not give it a thought.

So, giving it is not transmitable to humans, the deer did not act sick, we butchered it yesterday and had chops and tender loin for lunch. Meat tasted fine.

I guess I'm having second thoughts. The meat is mixed in with another deer also, so we would have to toss two if we were not going to keep it.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Not a problem. Neither of the EHD viruses is a threat to humans. If he recovered, he's fine. Enjoy!

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

you already ate it so let us know how you feel by tomorrow......lol........according to wildlife officials, human consumption of deer infected with EHD is safe to eat. If the meat looks and smells fine is the basic rule of thumb. If you see ulcers, discoloration, bad smell, etc, I would dispose of it, otherwise I say, pass the minute steaks and potatoes please.... ;D

Congrats to your nephew....nice buck!!

4. krollh

krollh Active Member

Well, since eating the meat my symptoms have been vomitting, diarehea, pissing blood, seeing double vision, stomach cramps, headache, shortness of breath and hurting all over. Besides that I'm good.

Seriously, growing up in a butcher shop, I've seen meat from sick animals and this meat was perfectly fine. I know you can't tell everything by looks and the science behind it seemed to say "no worries". Just thought I'd get some opinions.

Thanks for the responses.

5. jorgy

jorgy Member

EHD ruined my archery season. Killed everything over 2 years old in the area.

6. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Weight loss propably from chaseing does this fall ?

7. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Just ate mine from S.E. Michigan. We had some die in the area but over all saw good numbers of deer. I checked the internal organs they looked clean so to jerkyville she went, just had some it was excellent. Eat away . . .

8. krollh

krollh Active Member

Weight loss was definitely not from chasing does. I see a lot of bucks on the ground this time of year and he did not fit that bill.
    Our area was sporadic. One group of adjacent farms would get hit very hard, finding literally dozens of dead ones and live sightings and sign went to almost nothing. Another area maybe 10 miles away would seem almost unaffected. This deer was taken in one of the harder hit areas. We almost did not even hunt there but its hard not to when you go to the same area for 20 years in a row.

9. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Give it a few years and see what "they" say and how you feel.

10. I always feed it to my wife and kids first.

11. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Considering most cattle test positive for EHD in the US I'd say you are fine. ( it does not effect cattle like it does deer) I lost my pet doe to EHD this yr, but all of my goats are fine and showed no symptoms either.