1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

after salting hide a sour smell came from hair side

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by woodbutcher2008, Nov 20, 2012.

1. woodbutcher2008

woodbutcher2008 New Member

I recently shot a deer. I fleshed the hide out and salted the hide. I changed the salt and let sit for another 48 hrs. I cleaned off the salt and the hide has a blueish color to it. When i turned the hide over a SOUR smell came from the hair side of the hide. Will this smell come out after I put it in the pickle and tan the hide. I don't want to waste time if the hide is already wrecked. Is the smell because i didn't dry the hide good enough before i put the salt on it. I am trying to learn how to use the hides off the animals that i harvest instead of letting them go to waste.
    I also was wondering if anyone has a good pickle recipe that i can use for deer or coyote hides. and some instruction on how to properly tan hides.

Thanks for the advise

2. You did not have the hide on a tilted bed, so the body fluids soaked into the hair. If the hair is still tight and not slipping hang it and allow it to semi dry hair out. the smell will go away in tanning.

3. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

I was just going to say it sounds like a slipping cape is about to take place.

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Tilted table or not hides will always have odors, what did you expect roses. As John said its the liquids that you are smelling and it will go away after the tanning process. Good luck with your efforts.

5. woodbutcher2008

woodbutcher2008 New Member

Well I had the table slightly sloped to allow excess moisture to drain off the hide while salting. I think the problem is I didn't allow a air space below the hide to allow the hair side to dry fullly. I hung it to drain and dry over a saw horse before I salted it but on the plywood table I had poly to keep the plywood clean and would not soak up the moisture. There are some hairs that are slipping. If the hide was salted properly will any hair come out. does some hair pull out even on a properly salted hide. Thanks to the people that replied.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

When salting a skin/cape is it important that you hang it up to drain or sloped on a framed screen top. That will allow air flow around the skin. It might not necessarily slipping, there might be areas where the deer was drug up on a tailgate or something causing some loose hair. It the majority is tight, I would say it has a chance.