1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting question about ducks

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joebrinkley, Nov 20, 2012.

1. I have a mallard duck i mounted and looks really good to me, but now i have waited two week to let dry, and now i am ready to start to paint, I do have an airbrush but i am going to use a hand brush being that its my first, And the paint i am using is water base. Do I have to wipe down the duck beak and feet with lacquer first, and do i also have to paint on some kind of base paint first. What would I do first to start painting with the water base paint. Thanks.

2. dablaw

dablaw Member

Wiping down with a little lacquer is fine to clean it up a bit..then seal it with any good clear or tinted sealer...I use a good sanding sealer on mine run through my airbrush..Then paint how you want..a matte or gloss clear over it when your done will protect it..up to you which you use..Personally I think gloss is overdone unless in a water scenario.

3. Hey i really thank you a lot for the info. I am sure that will do the trick. Thanks again.

4. I usually try to paint my beaks prior to mounting, just makes it easier so you don't get paint on the feathers. I wipe the beak down with accetone and then for mallards I spray the whole beak black then brush off with steel wool gives it more detail. but leave the black tip on the beak. Then go in with your yellow and paint the rest. Then I use matte finish modge podge with a brush to seal it cus its a little thicker and protects better. You can get it at any craft store. Oh and use good reference photos.

5. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

this is what i do and i seems to work for me clean it with a little thinner, let it dry well then i spray it with a lite white primer to take some of the black out of the bill then i spray some bright yellow over that then a lite mist of yellow okra after it is dry i take some thinner and remove the over spray off the feathers if there is any, alot of the time i run some blue painters tape to cover the feathers around the bill after i am happy with this i take some laquare thinner and remove the paint on the nail of the bill, and the underside of the bill as well for the feet and legs i use mallard orange with the same laquare thinner removing steps for the toe nails and any overspray i also use a diaper, just some paper or thin card stock to cover the rump and belly so the overspray is not like crazy hard to get off that area with some thinner and i dont used water based paint just my preferance again this is the way i do it it may or may not work for you and it may not be what others do but it is what works for me