1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by skunk, Nov 21, 2012.

1. skunk

skunk New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Hey guy and gals can you please critique these fish for me? They are pumpkinseed/bluegill cross. Very challenging to paint. Thanks, skunk

2. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    Im thinking the Walleye in the back ground is thinking LUNCH.lol....I like em

3. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

The firstr thing I see that struck me odd was that there is virtually no color on the fins. The other thing that stands out is the line of demarcation between the green on the top half and the orange and blue colors on the bottom half of the fish. Is it as abrupt as you rendered it here?

4. skunk

skunk New Member

[​IMG] Here is a photo of one of the actual fish that I used as a referance

5. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

I must say...you have some unusual fish there. And now I see why you painted them like you did. This is just a suggestion. Next time you do one of these fish...try using some transparent yellow transitioning from the belly to the area of the lateral line. That would help tie that area in better. Go lightly. Then there is the orange paint. On the fish it looks more of a golden orange. I also see some orange coloring on the base of the pectoral fin. And as far as I can see...the pelvic fin is almost all an orange color. The back is also different than how you protrayed it. I can see a definite blue green color going on there. And on these little guys...I would be using as many metallics and reflectives as I could. Hope this helps you some. I sure wish I had a couple of these fish to do for my display. Don't have any to spare do you?

6. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Along with the colors as mentioned, I see a couple things:

Shrunken areas in the head area especially in the lip region. The top one is a little sloppy with smoothing out the epoxy on the head and the tail junction.

Anatomy issues in the belly area (look shrunken in or not filled properly) on the two I can see.

I dont like the red eyes on panfish although I see where some catalogs market them for panfish. I only see that red of a eye on smallies.

Not a fan of the open mouth on a sunny or gill but doesnt look bad, just not my preference.

Pretty nice looking fish overall, just pay closer attention to the details. They are not an easy fish to paint IMO. Good effort.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I don't think the fish are all that bad. I do see that it seems your airbrush technique and reading reference need some experience. The body markings (the turquois) is too defined and a bit exaggerated. The demarcation between dorsal and belly does need some attention. The reference has a lot of reflection distorting the appearance of the actual transition from the dark back to the lighter belly areas.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The biggest issue that clearly jumps right out at me are the paint jobs. Look at your reference pic. There's SOME similarities, but not many. The transition from the belly on up is not right. The orange belly markings you have are patches not spots like in your reference. There's no yellows in the belly's of your mounts vs. the pic. You've got one green on top blended down. There's various shades of greens in your reference pics. There's LOTS of subtle colors in the reference pic that are lost in your paint jobs. All of the other issues mentioned are secondary to your paint jobs. It's been said a good paint job will make a poorly mounted fish look good. In your case, I don't think the mounts themselves are bad, they're okay excpet for some minor issues. but, the paint jobs look nothing like your reference pics. I've seen a lot of pumpkins/hybrids that look like the photo btw. Pretty common coloring in a lot of lakes I've fished in Minnesota. BTW, not the easiest fish to paint - especially for a beginner...