1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fin curling

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rnviper3, May 10, 2007.

1. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

these comments are all good. and i do agree that casting the fins would proably be easier than cleaning and rebuilding the real ones. i just have not done it yet. i assume that once i do i will not go back. but for now i still use the real ones. the fish i have entered into the 2 shows i have went to, have done well. not great because of anatomy placement, that I'm still learning. but not one of the fish judges marked me off for shrinkage.

2. moarcher

moarcher Madden Taxidermy

I am new to fish, so new I only have 1 skin mount and 1 repro. I was looking over my skin mount yesterday which was mounted the first of the year and noticed that my fins had curled just along the edges. Taking a closer look, I also noticed that it cracked the paint into really fine spider-web designs. I used the flex fin method (after sealing the entire fish), with the tape and fin glue (3 coats, drying between each coat on both sides) and then used top coat sealer after painting. Where did I go wrong and how can improve on my next mount?

3. kam

kam Member

Idaho
    I forgot how to fix a curled fin, can someone remind me pls.?

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Well Kam it's like this... ;D. Hey at least we're getting participation vs. no responses!

One thing that has not been mentioned is it possible there was still some moisture in the fins for whatever reason?

And as we all know salmonids fins are thicker than bass, pike, panfish. I've had them curl while drying which I have since prevented by using strips of metal you find glued into file folders. I cut the pieces cut to length and put them under the paper clips perpendicular to the way the fin will want to curl. This is until the fins are completely dry. I hate curled fins!

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Being an old-timer I always (and still do) seal my fish and fins with shellac.It's what we used "back when" and it still works as well today. On cold water fish I cut off the fins and SPLIT them before soaking them in alcohol overnight to de-grease them. I then insert a very thin piece of wood for attachment, card them and let them dry completely. Then I double coat them with shellac and install them before painting. Has worked well for 67 years....why change?

John C likes this.
  6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

All my fish get a fairly heavy coat of laquer before finishing and it dries in 5 minutes. Never had any curling problem even with heavy coats of SOBO.

7. It is not rocket science. The fin is not sealed. I use Bullseye Shellac in the spray can. Seal the fin,not a light coat, but two of three coats it will seal it. Wet it out. BOTH Sides..
    I have found that the only reason fins curl is moisture gets in them.

8. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

It's the Ultra seal doing it. Try sealing your fins with SHELLAC. Two coats and let dry well then do the silkspan thing. Should solve your problem. Good luck JL.

9. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I've noticed the quality of Silk Span has changed up over the years and now I have curling issues. But, some of you guys don't use Silk Span and still have curling issues so that may not be my problem.

10. Years ago they use to tell you not to use Shellac because it wold bleed through your paint and yellow the mount

11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

try re-carding