1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing with angle grinder.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by rams-head, Nov 24, 2012.

1. rams-head

rams-head New Member

A friend of mine showed me a way of fleshing and shaving/thinning hides with an angle grinder and a Gator brand paint and rust removal disc. As crazy as it sounds it works pretty good for some one on a budget who can't afford a round knife. Just thought I would pass it along.

[​IMG]

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hunter Ray did it with a 6 inch grinder. I'm waiting for guys with weedeaters and reel lawnmowers.

3. Mason

Mason Active Member

LOL,

I hear Ya George. Always someone new finding a way to skin that proverbial cat ;D
    But, Rays grinder technique worked well. We used it when we got started. Even sent a few we did out to some tanners that were very surprised with the finished skins.

4. I'm guessing you are doing this outside where the Ravens and Magpies can clean up. I cant imagine the mess inside. I know how far my bird fleshing wheel can fling crap. I would love to see a video of the process in action.

5. rams-head

rams-head New Member

Just talked to the friend who showed me this method and he said he learned it from a video he bought. I guess he got the video second hand from this web site. He could not remember what the video was called. I'm sure some one on here might know. He said the quality of the video sucked and tossed it out after watching it once. A home made video.

And it does make a bit of a mess, but for someone brand new to tanning it is a lot better then using a skife to thin the entire hide.

6. I guess I miss understood the use of it. I thought you were saying you use it to flesh the raw hide.

7. I guess you answered the $25 question lol.

8. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

It works. lol. after 12 years of using it. I still run the grinder with both wheels for fleshing , shaving, thinning, and turning specific area's on hides. very little scalpel work.

Results are still very good. Not here to start another fleshing war over what works best. Thats up to the individual who can learn there machine and make it produce the results they are after There's no right way and no wrong way for achieving a fleshed hide. Use what you can afford and learn the method INSIDE and Out.