1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What type of catfish???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by K.N Fish Taxidermy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

This has had me puzzled. I thought it was a brown bullhead but the tail was slightly forked. Well overnight the tail was chewed off by something so don't have any good pictures of it. Any ideas on what it is? It is 16 1/2 inches. It was caught in central NC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Looks like a mudcat to me.

3. Looks like a Channel catfish to me.

4. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

That's what I was going to say, but I'm no expert.......... I just eat 'em.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

That's a channel cat

6. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Channel cat.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The tail certainly makes it look like a channel catfish, but the color just don't seem right for what we call a channel catfish here. What did it taste like!

8. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Although the coloration is standard Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) for my area I took notice in the initial description of the "slightly forked tail.”

The first picture clearly shows the anal fin and upon enlarging it, and inverting the colors I can only count 20 anal fin rays indicating that this fish is possibly a White Catfish (Ameiurus catus) that is naturally found in North Carolina.

Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) have 24 -30 anal fin rays
    White Catfish (Ameiurus catus) 18-23

If you still have the fish in hand a positive identification can be made by counting those anal fin rays.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/catfish/white/

9. K.N Fish Taxidermy

I am pretty sure its a white. Its head is way to wide to be a channel and also there are no spots and the tail is slightly forked. It has 22 anal fin rays. Thanks for the help guys! This description fits perfect!

CHARACTERISTICS: The white catfish is distinguished from all other Alabama catfishes by its moderately forked caudal fin and short, large head, the width of which is usually greater than the anal fin length. The lower jaw is substantially shorter than the upper jaw. The anal fin is rounded and contains 22 to 24 rays. Burkhead et al. (1980) note that individuals always have a gap or depression in the "body ridge" running from the head to the dorsal fin origin. The back is generally dark to medium olive or gray, grading to white on the venter. Fins are light gray, often with a darker membrane between rays.

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'd agree it's a white catfish. I counted 21 rays. 21 or 22 it still looks way too short to be a Channel. (Did it "bark" at all? LOL! I use to catch a lot of channels and they bark or grunt like crazy! Don't know if WHite Catfish do, but hey there's another tidbit of useless info - lol!) Forked tail says it's not a bullhead. No spots typ of a Channel, but bigger Channels can lose their spots. Anal fin is the only true distinguisher. And that anal fin says White Cat to me...

11. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Very little Marty. LoL! The channels here grunt like crazy. I also thought the anal fin was a little short.

12. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Here are some photos of the mold of it. The tail was chewed off by something when it was on the stringer. Still molded it up. Just need a replica Caudal fin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Detail. Never new they had rough skin. Cool!
    [​IMG]

13. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Here in Mississippi, people drift fish for catfish in Pickwick Lake and they are always catching what they call "Humpback White Catfish" and it is nothing more than a color variation of the Blue. Just like Hand Painted Brim are a color variation of the Bluegill. Just food for thought.

14. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Ken,
    It resembles the 7lb 6oz channel I caught on 2lb line ice-fishing. Not sure though, Marty's probably right. Nice job on the molds too......

Attached Files:

15. FishArt

Brian, check out the difference between your anal (hee-hee) fin and Ken's Cat. Yours has considerably more spines/rays as a Channel would have. Nice catch btw! Never really ice-fished b4. Looks "cool"!

16. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

good point Marty....and like I said you are probably right.
    Ice fishing is fun but really just killing time before the hot spring fly fishing starts. I can tell you catching that cat while I was out just catching a few gills for dinner was a BIG surprise. I think I had that cat up to the hole a half a dozen times before I pulled it through....
    btw, thanks for the email and video.....sending a response later today.

17. K.N Fish Taxidermy

Thanks for all the help guys! Brian that is one huge Channel Cat! We lost one about 3ft. long on the same trip we got this one on. Got him up to the dock he death rolled and the hook came out. We all were sooo mad! That would have been a nice one! Oh well.

18. FishArt

I did a repro using a Blue blank modified for a guy a while back that caught the California State 6 pound line class record Channel Cat. It was somewhere around 40 pounds. The guy actually had it weighed on a certified scale at the local marina and then released it thinking it was just another big Blue. Lo and behold the pics got around and his local DNR called him and informed him that it was a Channel Cat and not a Blue. He's in the IGFA record books for 6 pound test. Could you imagine catching a fish THAT big in warm water with only 6 pound test? Crazy!

19. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Not a tale tale sign by any means but it is missing the typical spots for a channel and the head seems too beefy as well. Looks to me like a typical mudcat or flathead or bull head as some call it.

20. knockdownducks

knockdownducks Howling Hollow Taxidermy

thats a channel cat , the ones we have here are that color also with some browner ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]