1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

surgical blades

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by siffordstaxidermy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Anybody have surgical blades info? I need more blades and he changed his email and hasnt been on since march. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Buddha14524

Buddha14524 New Member

They should sell them at your local vet clinic. I get them from my vet.

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

eBay has them cheaper than any place you'll find.

4. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

We have a medical supply store near me, do a search of your area and see if you have one close...nice for stocking up your emergency med kits too cause they usually have all the cool gauze compress stuff as well...I like to be prepared for every situation...I don't have a bunker under my house or anything but get a serious injury and you will be glad my dumb bag (that's what my husband calls it) was lovingly packed and stuffed with such an array of med supplies. My ranger surplus has scalpels as well.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Do yourself a favor and go to the Havel's website..{www.havels.com} and buy your blades there. I purchased 1000 cheap blades of eBay last year for $50. They were a nightmare. Any sideways pressure whatsoever, and they would snap. Havel's blades are around 17 cents each including shipping. They are durable and will hold an edge better than cheap ones...I promise.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

THANK YOU Joey. Cheap blades are cheap for a reason. I've used Havels for ages. Two of their blades flesh a deer while I've used 6-8 of those cheap ones. Buy a case and get a discount.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

AMEN!! Take that advice!!

8. X4

9. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

What style of surgical blades do you guys use from Havel. I've been getting my blades from American Line, for years, which the company now switched to Personna, but I can still order my #11 Hobby Blades http://protrades.personnablades.com/ProductCatalog/Detail.aspx?prodid=171&brand=American Line&item=%2311+Hobby+Blades+100+Pack I have always considered using surgical blades, have'nt as of yet. I guess once you get used to using something, it's hard to want to change and try something different.

10. I use Havel #22 and order from Havels. Last order, I paid $16.50 per 100 for stainless steel. I ordered 500 and paid $10.50 shipping. Hope that helps.

11. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I use the #22 blades also.

12. I appreciate the comments and i also know what happens anytime "surgical blades" gets brought up. Have used both and see where everyone is coming from but i dont seem to have much problems with the stainless blades from surgucal blades. Might just have to go back to havel.

13. George

Stainless blades have more hype than utility. Carbon steel holds a sharper edge.

14. I was wondering about that when I placed the last order. I figured stainless would hold edge better. Damn, could have saved a few bucks and possibly received a better product.

15. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

X2, That's for sure.

16. You can also save yourself some money by investing in a broadhead sharpener for under $15 and sharpen your blades to last longer. Especially on those animals that have been rolled in the dirt; just a couple passes through the sharpener and your like new (really helps on those greasy bears)!! Havels all the way!

17. ShastaDonegan

Get a ceramic sharpener though...the one with tan and white discs on each side...the other ones wear your blade down too quickly.

18. George

Peysert, I'm sorry, but it will be a cold day in hell when I waste money and time trying to "sharpen" disposable scalpel blades. At 20 cents each, I'm not going to carry around a "pocket stone" like we did in the 1950's. In less than a second I can pop off an old blade that is STILL SHARP by 1950 standards, and put on a brand new blace. For $2 or less I can cape a moose or elk and for that little amount, I don't even have to raise the price of my mounts. The customer is already paying for my convenience.

19. Sorry George Roof but I wasn't meaning to carry one around in your pocket. But rather to take about 1 second to run the blade through to clean and hone it to further the use during today's economy every penny counts! I can cape a moose or elk for less than 40 cents and that adds up. This is just my way of saving that little extra for about 30 seconds of my time!

20. ShastaDonegan

I do that too but it's more because that's much faster than changing the blade for me...I like the edge so sharp you barely have to put any pressure AND I'm a bit OCD about it I think too...lol