1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Adding girth to whitetail form?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DuckDodger, Nov 29, 2012.

1. DuckDodger

DuckDodger New Member

Have a deer cape with about 3" bigger neck than any form I can find. Any ideas on how to add girth to a form and keep the correct anatomy?

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    That must be one big cape

3. How many places have you checked with? There are some big forms out there! It would really surprise me if one can't be found... What are the measurements? Maybe someone can give you some ideas.

4. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

X2 bigger than any available by 3"

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Woodshed, we have a problem here. You see, most of us aren't buying off on that. The more plausible answer is that your deer isn't nearly as big as you think it is. Are you using DP? Are you measuring a green hide? we don't have enough information on what you're trying to do or WHY?

6. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

There are some beasts out there like the one you're talking about. Three years ago I mounted one that a kid killed here in central Ky. and I used the largest form available from McKenzie and it still mounted up 1 1/2" shy of his mid neck measurement. He was 23 1/2" inside spread on the rack and his cape was actually a full 1/8" thicker than a Ky. elk I've mounted. He field dressed about 260 lb's and is still the biggest I've mounted so far. I'm sure there are probably some forms out there that'll work for you, but I don't know who. Some of these veterans ought to be able to help you.

7. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

If its bigger then the Revolution Intimadator form you don't have a whitetail, LOL.

8. ChadB

ChadB New Member

Revolution has the intimidator 8 1/8 X 28

9. George

I've never seen or heard of a whitetail with a 28 inch neck.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ive raised them that size, and Ive mounted them that size. Theres some forms out there that size too. The easiest way to alter a form thats ALREADY THE CORRECT FRAME SIZE (thats very important here) is to determine what anatomy swelled bigger then the form you have, and to adjust. Form alterations really arent that hard, once you understand some anatomy. Good luck.

11. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

OTS 75 series I believe has a 28 inch swell. It is a monster of a form. I mounted one. The cape had every bit of 28 inches in the swell. The form was every bit of 28 inches. It went on easily. No problem fitting it.

12. MidwestBigBucks

MidwestBigBucks Member

Wow that's huge, I've never seen them before that big! It's cool you've mounted some that big. That would definitely be awesome to mount one that big!

13. livbucks

Here is the form on this thread. The mount was by that Jon Seiler guy that does SWEET work.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,296344.msg2042636/topicseen.html#msg2042636

Here is the link for the form. Call Rudy!!

http://ohiotaxidermysupply.com/77535.html

14. livbucks

If you mean at the B or atlas, I would agree. He must be talking swell here, George.

15. George

That's EXACTLY what I was about to ask Bill, Greg. At the Atlas, I don't think I've ever seen anything over 24 and that was on a 425 pound brute out of Saskatchewan.

16. Bill Yox

8 1/4 x 28 x 34

You guys know me enough by now to know I dont talk out my backside. Remember waaaayyyy back on another similar discussion, where I compared it to being bigger then caribou necks, etc? I cut a form up and refoam a lot on it. I have done more than just a couple on 7 3/4 to 8 x 23 x 27 and 28s too, and I know McKenzie, Ohio, Revolution and Coombs has forms Ive used, and Im sure a few others Im forgetting.

17. livbucks

PSYCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. George

Well, Bill, even you admit this was a hormonally challenged whitetail grown in captivity. A wild deer just ain't going to live long enough to get that big. I've seen elk and caribou with measurements smaller than that neck.

19. Bill Yox

Many of those were out of the wild. I know, I know...

20. troy

troy Member

PA
    I'll have to jump in here. I did one that a fellow called me about and told me he shot a deer with a 32" neck. I laughed at him and told him it would have to be the size of an elk. I told him to measure under the chin at the neck and around the back of the head tight at the ears, also, not over the hair but just over the meat. He said I have it right here. It's 26"! I said not over the hair just the meat. He said that's what I'm doing. WOW! Well, it turns out he was right. It was 26 over the meat and tight at the ears. I wound up mounting it on a Revolution Intimidator form and it fit up just right. I was worried a little about it working OK, but it fit like a glove. Awful big for a PA. deer. (And not a pen raised deer.) So I think if you keep looking you can find a form that will work for you. Good luck!!