1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

*The Best Tools*

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by code6202, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Hello, I was just reading some "question" posts on here and then had this idea about making a post to share the tools we use in our taxidermy shops, that we like the most. I think it would be grand if everyone would post their favorite tool or tools for mammal taxidermy, and how they use it.

I will start with a tool I got a couple years ago while I was at a shop in Michigan for a seminar. Our great taxidermy.net friend Mr. T aka Low-T was there and he brought some tools he made in his woodworking shop. He calls it on his site the 'Ear and Nose Taxidermy Tool' but I call it a T-Stick. It is perfect for turning ears on small mammals by using the small end to push the skin open to the edges. I also use it to stretch the skin for fleshing and thinning nostrils and eye holes (like a fleshing horn). I have also used it as a rolling pin, and seam smasher, and a spider squisher.

Here is where I got it, made with love by Mr. T.

http://www.paultproducts.com/Paul_Thompson_Products/For_Sale.html#3

[​IMG]

If you have any neat or special tools that you would like to show everyone, please post them on this thread. It could help some new taxidermists with choosing which tools to buy (or put on their Santa list).

2. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Is this stick also good for gutting?

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No, that tool is patented already, by an old Indian,,, ;)

Thanks Codi.

4. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

;)

5. If you sharpened one end it could possibly be used for gutting. I actually found a gutting stick in my back yard after a storm last week. Someone must have dropped it, I left it where I found it in case they came back looking for it.

6. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    I remember getting one of those tools, too bad I forgot it at Dennis's shop :p

Mr. T, how much do you sell those for, I need to get another one, lol

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Ok,I'll play along. But first, nice avatar pic Codi. I'm digging it. Now about my tool.

A gift from Yox. It's a retooled piece that he shaped that is so perfect for eye work and nostil work. I absolutely love it and would have to have another if I ever lost, or broke it. That Bill.....he's got some tricks up his sleeve. Just glad he shared this one. I'd be lost now without it. This one is even personalized. Bill had it engraved for me. ;)

[​IMG]