1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

eye position

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by danielemt, Nov 30, 2012.

1. danielemt

danielemt New Member

looking for advice on the eye position for the 64d head down aggressive position. cant find any pictures of the eye that are any good to see where the pupil is. would it be looking down or still level like normal?

2. 24/7

24/7 New Member

Danielemt, I have ben researching for that same mount this week. If u will do a search on deer eyes you will find a little chat about the eye position. I think I am going to go with leveling mine, with the horizontal line with a small amount of white showing in the rear corner of each eye. Ears all laid back, some muscle detail in the ear buts for a flowing transition from the head thru the ear. Realy looking foreward to it. He is a BRUTE of a deer. 22 3/4 in neck. Not a huge rack but a very impressive animal

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you don't hang it real high on the wall you won't be seeing the eyes anyway. Pupils stay level BTW when looking down.

http://www.sharp-sighted.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=174

4. danielemt

danielemt New Member

Ok thanks for your input! Helps me out here!! Wasn't sure if I was gonna like the mount but once I got the manikin, it looks really cool!! I like it a lot!!!

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I mounted an aggressive and like I said, you have to crouch down to see the eyes or look from 90 degrees to the side at it. The solution really is to hang it high on the wall. Still a neat pose if you nail the eye and ear expression. Good luck!!! Have fun.

6. sportsmans dream

sportsmans dream New Member

Ohio
    Look at your reference the eyes are a lot more open and round in shape and also rolled when they are aggressive. If the head is tilted your best bet is to go with an epply eye as they are a very deep eye and then you can cut out a wedge out of the socket and get it to roll and also get your pupil back to level with a tilted head. When you do this to one side you will just do the opposite to the other. So if you take out a wedge from the top on one side it will be taken out of the bottom of the other. This only needs to be done on a tilted head. I hope this makes sense to you.

7. GC424

GC424 New Member

i just mounted a 64d level eye pupil and half back ears. looks OK

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I agree with what Eric said. The only difference is I paddle bit out the entire socket and rebuild it with Clay.

That's the beauty of it, he's right and I'm right, now you try it and which ever way works correctly for you and you'll be right :)