1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help!...skull splitting

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by KB, Dec 2, 2012.

1. KB

KB New Member

I simmered a white-tail skull, slathered on some basic white/20 volume(didn't have 40) and set it out in the sun for a few hours. I usually set it in front of a heater, but mine was broken. So I ran to town to get a new one while the skull set in the sun, temp was cold about 35 degrees. When I got back I set the skull in front of the heater for about 25-30 min. When I went to check on it and turn it, the bridge of the nose had separated and had a bout a quarter inch gap, it was like the whole skull was going to split in half. I have never had this happen before...how can I prevent this? To fix the skull I super-glued and wrapped in tape until glue set....it sorta held. Thanks for the help.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I recommend using white glue (Elmer's, etc) and then apply a zip-tie around the lower nose of the skull, just above the nose bones. This is no biggie....happens often when you clean dozens of skulls annually. Leave the zip-tie on a few days, til both the skull and glue are totally dry,

3. As joeym has said, it is not unusual at all for this to happen as a wet skull dries. Actually, it almost always happens. To prevent it, I simply use a zip tie around the snout just behind where the nose bones join the main skull. I put the zip tie on snug while it is wet and leave the tie in place until the skull is dry. This eliminates the need for glue in most cases. But I agree, if you are going to use glue, use a spot of white Elmers inside the snout after the skull is dry.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Zip tie or rubber band tight and Elmers. Setting the skull in the sun doesn't help to whiten. It is heat that accelerates the reaction.

5. KB

KB New Member

Thanks guys/gals!

6. aboutpostal

aboutpostal Member

gonna use that trick myself