1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Venting

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

This weekend I had a guy come in with a head to mount. I pull it out of the bag and it only had half of the neck on it. I said I can do it, but it would look stupid. He's going to get back to me. I had a bear to flesh and get ready to send to the tannery for a rug. I started skinning the head out, then I wanted to get all the fat off before splitting the ears and such. So I threw it on the beam and started fleshing. I get all around the thing and realize, there are no rear feet. The butcher cut them off. Am now waiting to hear from the guy on what to do with that. So I pull out a deer head that was partially thawed and skinned it out. Being there are hardly any teeth left in the thing, I figured it was old. Then I started fleshing the thing, I don't have a fleshing machine, on the beam. Holy [email protected]#$, everything was a battle. After 7 hours I finaly got the membrane layer off, and everything turned and thinned. All I have left is taking the cartilage out of the ears. What a B!#$%. I realy need a fleshing machine.

2. We are here for you buddy. Anytime

3. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

Your day sounded like mine. I started thinning the face on a WT cape and went to mount it and notice he was losing hair, so I called the customer. They decided to not buy a replacement cape. So I got another customers cape out and started thinning its face and realized it was slipping too, so I had to make that call too. Now I need to fine a 23"-24" WT cape to replace his, yesterday was not a good day in the shop.

4. danielemt

danielemt New Member

Had a guy drop off a WT buck for a shoulder mount took all measurements. Then after he left started to skin it out when a large piece of fur fell off the back of the neck just behind the right ear. I thought the hide was bad but when I looked it was a cut in the neck. Called him to tell him what I found and he told me the butcher almost cut the head off but he was able to stop him!! Took picture of it and texted it to him to show him it wasn't from me! Good thing he wants the head down aggressive mount so the ear will cover it!!!

5. GC424

GC424 New Member

Gun Deer week starts here today in NJ. couple days are gonna be in the sixties and the rest high fourties and fifties. They will hang the deer on the pole all week and then wonder why the hair falls out. Its a shame but its only about how many they kill.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    It's called doing the job. By the way ... leave the cartilage in the ears until after tanning. ;)

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

...and why are you worried about membranes on the skin. It's called rough fleshing for a reason. knock off the big stuff and salt it.

8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

By the way ... leave the cartilage in the ears until after tanning. I do in-house tanning with the cream, so I generally pull it out before. This particular one I may send to the tannery though because how thick the skin is. But, that isn't in the fee.

...and why are you worried about membranes on the skin. It's called rough fleshing for a reason. knock off the big stuff and salt it. Been using the brush-on cream lately and generally have been getting everything off before salting and putting the tan on. I want to try the pickeling method though, my guess is that the things would flesh and thin easier.

Yes, I was a dredded DP'r for years. No problems and only complements and return costomers. But, Micheal P. pointed out something a few years ago that I noticed also. I took the time to do all the detail clay work around the eye's. With DP, you would loose some of that detail. I went to tan to keep the detail that I take the time to put on the animal.