1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with first soft-mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Skysong, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Skysong

Skysong New Member

I ordered this lovely Coyote pelt from ebay. I ordered all the things i would need to mount it. It came in the mail today and it is perfect - except for its face. It ears dried weird and I'm not sure hot to mount the head either. Some advice or help would be welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. Barack Obama

Barack Obama New Member

You are gonna have to rehydrate the head before you mount it.

3. Skysong

Skysong New Member

If you don't mind answering stupid questions how would i go about doing that without ruining the pelt or causing it to fall apart?

4. Sounds like you're going to have to do a lot more research before you attempt to mount that yote.
    I'd try the search bar on "how to rehydrate" and "how to mount a coyote"- things such as that that. :)

5. First off from that picture I'd say the face didn't dry weird at all. That's what hides look like.
    Please please please please do research before you even think about mounting this coyote.
    I recommend you at least get this: http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/02/BP1009.html
    That book will help you a lot.
    You can PM me questions and I'll try my best to answer, since I would rather do than than chance you messing that hide up. This forum has a lot of information in the archives, and they all know what they're talking about. I know sometimes when you're new you don't even know what to search for.. so PM me if need be. But I recommend a lot of research. The mounting process can wait awhile. its not going anywhere.

6. Looks fine to me. Make sure the eyes, lips, nose and ears are split. Otherwise, don't even think about mounting it. It will not work. The book FurZombie recommended is a fantastic reference. Here's a link to a coyote shoulder mount tutorial that also works well. http://www.hidetanning.net/CoyoteTaxidermy1.html

In the mean time, here's a mountable vs. Non mountable guide made by the lovely Lestlie J.

[​IMG]

7. BOBTRAC

BOBTRAC New Member

rehydrate it in salt water, untill it is soft. then MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD MEASUREMENTS and then freeze it untill you man and eyes show up in mail. just take your time ,the hide shouldnt fall apart if it was tanned properly. mount it and have fun