1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New to site

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by CannonQ, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

Trying to post a couple of my heads for , how do they say it? , constructive criticism. Wish me luck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Attached Files:

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Quick....get the bandaides. Those deer are gonna leak. LOL Why the pins?

3. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

Tim, don't you know a pin cushion deer when you see one?

4. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

I use them on short hair capes then pull them so there are no marks from hide nails. Just till hide paste sets,

5. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Lots of extra work pinning them. If you work the detail daily with your fingers and you using a good hide paste you will get the same effect. But whatever works for you the mounts look nice a and clean great detail. Nice work

6. OAF

OAF New Member

Ohio
    A good hide paste(I use pro 1),correct size form, and taking critterstuffr’s advise of gently pressing the detail as it dries will do away with the need for pins. Just make sure you don’t press the paste from the detail by pressing too hard.

7. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

I blend my own yellow dextrine based paste for the detail areas and use buckeye for the body. I probably don't need to pin it just helps me make sure I don't miss anything. The pin holes are smaller than hide nails, also had rust stain issue once on a head because I didn't get all the salt out in my rinse.

8. JMO...the hair should be groomed down, natural water shedding for deer. Agree with critter, clean work and good detail!!

9. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

X2 ditch the pins if you really think about it if the hide wants to move those skinny thin pins are not going to stop the drumming. Buckeye paste will work for the whole mount, not sure how many game heads you have done but they look pretty nice.

10. danielemt

danielemt New Member

is it just me or is the buck in the first picture the ear butts seem very long! like the ear is too far off the skull. just me though. groom the hair down and loose the pins!

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What good do all the pins do,, then make the ear buts wrong, and eyes out of shape? Trust the glue, ditch the pins.

12. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

mounts sre like babies you must check on them often i also agree get rid of the pins the will not do much where you have them if the skin pulls thoses type of pins wont help much