1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mule and 3rd deer overall

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by tails up, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tails up

tails up New Member

This is my first completed mule deer and 3rd shoulder mount I have done. Forgot to take more pics to really show everything but I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

Attached Files:

2. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

You are off to a good start. Clean mount. The biggest thing i see you need to focus on next are the ears/ear butts. Shape, definition, placement, size. Check against reference. Next time you get a fresh horn mount or euro in, cut the ears and earbutts off, leaving the hide on, and freeze them. You can pull them out for reference.

Use your reference to shape the ears. Stuff the clay in the butts and shape it to match your reference. Use skull reference to mark the ear canal location on your form. When you place the cape on the form, run a stiff wire from the inner ear through the ear canal. Stick the wire into your reference mark and your location is nailed. Now pose and position your ears, using live reference pics, and add/move/subtract clay to reproduce what you see in your reference. Notice how many times i mentioned reference!:) Good luck !

3. slee

slee New Member

Looks pretty good!

4. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Use a butter knife and tuck the hair in against the wall.

5. debit card works good too