1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Time for hide prep

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Tubbsy2, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

Just curious to know how long it takes you guys to get your deer skins ready from the time they come into your shop to putting them on a form.

It usually takes me about 30minutes to skin off of skull and another hour to get ready for tan. Then i spend about 1 1/2 to 2 hours shaving the hide and getting it ready to go on the form.

Just wanted to know where I stand compared to others out there. It seems like it takes a long time but I dont think I could cut anytime off.

2. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Takes me 30 minutes to skin off the head then I hand it off to the pros for the rest. If I did the rest of the prep I'd have to charge 1000 bucks a mount it would take me so long.

3. Tubbsy2

Tubbsy2 New Member

I am considering having the pros do it myself but have never sent out a hide to be tanned before. I dont even know how to prep them for someone else to take care of for me. I also worry about the turn around time. I have always thought that it takes months to get your hides back.

4. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

10 min to cape 20 min to flesh and salt. After ut comes back from the tannery about 25 mins to remive ear cartilage and final flesh eyes nose and lips.

My tannery takes 6 to 8 weeks normally sometimes slightly longer.

5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Tubbsy, if you can get a head ready to mount from a customer drop off in under 5 hours why would you change a thing and what kind of tanning are you doing. Takes me just under 2 hours to get into salt, I use a very small Y cut which adds a little time, but I save that in sewing. I then use a commerical tanner. 2 to 4 hours of cape and form prep, then mount. And yes it takes months to get your hides back.

6. I tan deer capes here, takes about 1.5-2 hours from the time i get the head until its fleshed and salted then 3 days in the pickle, i shave the cape thin everything down takes about another 2 hours, pickle it for another day then i neutralize it, tan it and 4 hours later after i rinse it its all ready to go. I do 3 capes at a time once i get going. would be easier to send to the tannery but for the numbers i get it works fine

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

Bout normal I suppose, Not MP fast of course.

2 hours to skin and flesh and salt. Once it dripps out I flesh a little more then into the pickle for 3 days or what ever i can get to, I pull shave thats another hour then back to the pickle for a day or whenever I can get to it. Pull it out finish shaveing and thinning then neutralize and apply Trubond.

8. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Once you get to a certain point as far as how many deer you're taking in you have to do something.

There is no way i could tan all of my own deer and ever get anything mounted and finished in a reasonable time.

2 of my kids are now doing most of my caping and fleshing or I would be forced to hire someone else or send out for fleshing as well. I would rather pay my kids than an outside service.

One of the biggest draw backs to me would be paying to ship frozen capes if you didn't have a tannery within driving distance.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Hey..... it took me 10 minutes to cape a fallow the other day, leave me alone! ;)

I am a one man shop except for a couple of little elves. I do not flesh or prep anything anymore. I skin it off the head and freeze it. I don't even skin coyotes and cats anymore, I take them whole.

All I do when I get the cape back is turn the ears a little more to my liking. If I was to thin down the eyes, nose or lips any more I'd burn a hole through them...... so my prep work takes me 5 minutes.

Its a lot more fun mounting and finishing than it is fleshing and prepping :)

10. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

Micheal how much does that cost you ?

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

$60 for wt, $75 for Muledeer, axis, etc., $150 elk, Nilgai, etc., $300 buffalo, steer, etc., $100 coyote, bobcat, etc. I try to pick up $1,000-$1,500 worth per week, that keeps him rolling on my stuff knowing I got a check for him every week and it's all usually done and waiting for me just a couple of months into the year. Got a buddy here today and we're mounting 3 deer brought in November...... it's swwwweeeetttt!! LOL

12. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

Man, can't beat that, and no shipping costs either, cost me around $30-40 more per cape depending on shipping costs but it sure is nice to open up the box and remove a perfectly wet tanned, stretchy, paper thin hide and have not done any of the work myself, I HATE thinning deer hides. I I don't think hate is a strong enough word here to describe it, I dislike it on a cellular level.

13. I hate fleshing and thinning, at least 4 hours per long cape on deer, don't get me started with hogs, grrrr I'm going to be sending all to a tannery, my last one is in a pickle right now.

14. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

Three hours to skin,turn and flesh.Two hours to shave and remove ear cartilage.Wish I could find somebody within driving distance.

15. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    If I could skin, flesh, and salt in 30 minutes as some posted here I'd do all my own, but since I cannot I just skin them (20 minutes or so) and send out green frozen. I do then spend at least a good hour or so prepping cape to mount when I get them back