1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First couple of brook trout

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by worleybird, Dec 6, 2012.

1. worleybird

worleybird New Member

I had been doing mostly warm water fish but I decided to start doing some cold water work and here is a couple of my first skin mounted trout. Thought I would post them and see what the more experienced fishheads thought. Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jason R

Jason R Ph# 325-282-2527

Really nice work!

3. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I think you are BS ing us. Those are way too good for a first. TYou obviously have some experience painting brook trout. And the mounting as well.

4. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Well Done!!!!! I truly enjoy your work! This is a great effort for sure!

My Best

Rick Krane

5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I see a major critical flaw

It is not mine

Nice job
    Carl Lewis

6. Only thing I'd say is Brook trout usually have more black in their mouths. And put some teeth in them. Nice though.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. worleybird

worleybird New Member

Thanks for all the compliments! MT, I'm not messing with you guys! In ordered that they are pictured from top to bottom they are my third, first, and second. I admit I have painted before but all warm water fish. It took me two attempts to get the first one to a point I liked it. The advice Rick gives in his dvd on mixing the yellows for the spot pattern is where its at. The first time I painted the fish prior to mixing the colors it came off way to harsh and I stripped the fish and started over. I appreciate all the compliments but I must say I couldn't have done nearly as well without the help of Rick's teaching! With that being said thanks for the compliments Rick and all you do to share your knowledge with those of us who are eager to learn!

8. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

9. worleybird

worleybird New Member

Rider, your right about the interior of the mouth. The fish are not entirely complete. The mouth is the last thing I do even when attaching to display because when I am painting or mounting I always seem to have my fingers in their mouth. I am almost with the display which two of the fish will be attached to. I'll post pics of the finshed project with teeth!lol Thanks again :)

10. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

ok worlybird, great job!

11. For teeth I use the epo grip tooth compound but you have to clear over it or it will yellow fairly quik. Plus they look better with gloss over them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    Brooke Trout were one of my favorites to fish for as a kid growing up, I think you captured the likeness pretty darn good...Nice job.

13. They look great from here.

14. worleybird

worleybird New Member

The final piece is coming together

[​IMG]

15. Those look amazing.

16. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

ADIPOSE FINS ON BROOKIES ARE VERY SMALL CHECK REFERENCE

17. worleybird

worleybird New Member

[​IMG]

18. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

The vermiculations like beautiful! Very nice work.

19. Just wait till he gets better, lol!!!