1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Burr to Burr

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Dec 6, 2012.

1. GC424

GC424 New Member

I see some guys talk about burr to burr caping which save them time on sewing which i can understand. but how in the hell do you get the cape on the form/ over the rear of the head and then get the ear butts in and shaped?

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

3. All the sewing you save is not worth the trouble to me. I have to have room to do earbutts .i still keep my incision as small as possible .

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

AMEN!

5. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

You can put the clay in the ear butts before you put the skin on the manikin or before you put the antlers on. Its no big deal after you do a few times..If you had started out doing all your deer burr to burr you would think all these guys are crazy for doing it any other way.....

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I've done burr to burr and they are no fun. Putting them back together is the easy part its the taking them apart that it more time consuming than the time it takes to sew up the extra 4-5 inches on a short Y or 7 or T cut. Even if you get really good at doing burr to burrs your not saving any time ur just putting ur time in a different spot which is caping. My fingers like 5 inches of sewing better then pulling and stretching and trying to wiggle a scalple around to get the burr to burr caped.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

No they are not, it's a single cut butt to butt.

8. Barack Obama

Barack Obama New Member

It's not just about saving time, it has to do with the final product also.

It's really not that hard to do.

9. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Thanks for clarifying Brad. Never tried it, probably won't. Don't mind the sewing.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It is only hard when you do not practice doing them. I did it once,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, just once,,,,,,,.

11. If you think a burr to burr incision is tough try doing a no incision. I did this one a few years back for my niece a late September deer youth hunt. Entered it in competition and one of the judges comments was nice seem. I thought that was funny when there was not one stitch in this deer.

Attached Files:

12. Another view

Attached Files:

13. Nice job

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Very nice! Love those short haired wts!

15. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Id do a seemless before I do a burr to burr. Doing my velvet mulie from this year seemless. Little tougher to put together but easy to cape.

16. GC424

GC424 New Member

Nice Cook How much more time did it take you compared to a short y mount.

17. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I guess to do seamless you need to cut antlers off skull plate? Am I missing something?

18. I only do burr to burr on my competition deer. Too much work on a customer mount. They get a "t" cut.

19. It took me quite a bit more time, and yes cut the antlers off first then skin it like a button buck. Way to much time involved for customer stuff.

20. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I do a v cut. on all my deer unless they are a euro mount and I am saveing the cape. Then a very short Y...I have no problems capeing or mounting...DC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]