1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Burr to Burr

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

I do burr to burr on everything I can. I'd even do it on an elk. It goes together very easily if you know what you are doing.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Now when you mount it, I assume you cut the head off the form, then after you slip it in the hide you foam it back on the manikin? Seems like a huge hassle... Or am I missing something obvious?

3. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Ya you miss it.....You put the cape on then the antlers, No cutting off the head!!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I guess I gotta go back and watch that "Whitetail Deer Shoulder Mount A to Z" video again. That guy seems to know his stuff.

5. JerseyJays

I'm just thinking when I use short Y I sometimes need to slice the y a little longer just to get it on manikin... I couldn't imagine trying to get or on with that burr to burr cut. Ill have to give it a try on my next sept kill.

6. How good does that tool work DC on cutting the skull cap? pretty interesting stuff.

7. Rick Carter

You only have problems getting a tube skinned deer skin over the manikins that have that ridiculous hump on the back of the head that doesn't even exist on a live deer! Take a sawzall and get rid of it or purchase a manikin with proper anatomy.

8. George

Hear hear!

9. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

X3

10. JerseyJays

I do cut it off... Still tough to get it past..

11. George

Then you're putting on too big a form. Any deer killed anywhere in the world will fit a form with the CORRECT measurements.

12. RTF

RTF Active Member

Now I know why I bought that same exact tool at Harbor Freight. Didn't have a clue what I was going to use it for. Now I do.

13. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

You realy got me thinking about this no seam thing. I would think if you drilled into the back of the antlers and down into the skull for alignment before you skinned like was shown with a moose, it would be pretty slick. I may try it sometime.

14. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

It works great. I did a huge ohio buck yesterday that had a skull that was about a half inch thick. Cut right thru it. I found that a little force is nessisary but don't over preasure it and it works great. If you push too hard the blade will bend and run off track...DC

15. GC424

GC424 New Member

I am not ready to try a burr to burr yet I am still having a problem ordering the proper form size. :-[ I am so afraid of making the mount smaller I always end up to big and have to fight it. By the time I'm done getting the cape on the form the eye clay is no where to be found. Need a video Insider secrets, tips and tricks. The first one to put that together will be a millionaire. ;)

16. George

The burr to burr guys can't do what you need to do with the clay work. DON'T CLAY until you've got the tube of the skin on the form. You clay your eyes thought the short "Y" incsion hole. The tube will slide forward enough for you to clay and to glue the hide before sliding it back and then sewing the incision.

17. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Yes, what George said!

18. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

That is realy anoying about the short y. Doing all that clay work then you carfully get the tube over the head and eye's, the next thing you know, your fighting with the damn thing getting all the hide over the clay work on the eye's. Doing it through the Y would be easier I suppose.

19. George

You SUPPOSE????? I never knew there was any other way to do it. Van Dykes used to sell two plastic shields to cover the clay work but it failed to sell because most people were smart enough to do it through the "Y". You out the antlers on after the hide is in place don't you?

20. Rick Carter

I put my hand inside the mouth and over the eyes when I put the cape over the head. I never mess up the eyes. You can do clay work on the ears prior to mounting the deer too. The burr to burr method is really simple and easy. I never obeyed the "keep off the grass" signs.