1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

some people !

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by striker12, Dec 7, 2012.

1. striker12

striker12 Member

Last season. I had a guy that wanted to mount his Owen deer. So i charged him 900 to walk him threw it step by step. The deer turned out OK. With a lot of my hands on it but i tried to let him do most of the work. But it was still 40 percent my work on his deer .walked him threw the finish work and he was gone. Tonight i was finishing up in the shop and he shows up with a list of question's he had wrote out. Every thing from how to size a cape to what hide paste use.and Every thing in between. So after talking with him for over an hour i ask him if he was going to try one on his owen this year. He tells me he has 12 heads to do for some foaks were he lives.i asked him if he had done any work other than what he had done on his head in my shop. He said no but the work he did last year on his head in my shop. Is 100 times better than the guy in his home town doing them.its then i started getting a sick felling Knowing what he was going to say next.and here it came. I told them you taught me.and they love the head i did last year. So i asked him if he had any of them done he had a pick of one he said was going home next week. He showed me the pick.the ears shape was WAY off and the were on the neck. Eyes looked like 50 cent Pices. And the nose pad was very crooked. I sat there looking at these picks. And i found my self getting up set. So i started pointing every thing out to him.and asked him if he is sure he is ready to be taking in work from other people. He said he will figure it out and asked me if he could bring the heads to my shop and have me help him. At this point I'm seeing him as a hackand found my self getting red in the face. So i told him there was no way i could allow him to do that. He then asked me if he could use my fleshing machine!!!! My wife came walking in to the shop as i lost it. She told him he best get his things and go. I had to walk away!!!! What the /[email protected]&$% some people are clueless.

2. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

I know a guy that lost his job and thought oh im gonna be a taxidermist now ! he takes deer in and has not ever mounted one . he then asked another taxidermist if he would show him how after he took peoples deposit money . then came and asked me if he could help me with a bear i had to mount told him didnt need any help . its hard to beleave people would do things like that and turn out half azz work . Sounds bout like the same guy ! You aint in Georgia are you ?

3. striker12

striker12 Member

No, I guess idiots are all over

4. What did you expect? You charged him $900 for showing him how and what to do. Just because you show them how to do it does not mean they can do what you do as well as you do it. People who know what your work is like will never take deer to him. $250 a day up till 8 hours for any training after the fact seams to work out just fine and keeps them out of your hair.

5. striker12

striker12 Member

Yea you right.just blows my mind how one would think after seeing all that goes in it and not even have done one on ther owenthink its that easy. Tells me they see nothing but the bone on the head. Or $$$. Hell i didn't even ask what he charged. Just hope the foaks don'tblame me thinking my work is the same without seein g it. I never do it again.

6. Let him fail, he is gonna have 12 pissed off guys after they see the crap he gives them. no need to worry you will probably get them to re mount.

7. GC424

GC424 New Member

Most people don't know the difference until they have something to compare there crap mount to. Even then it might still come down to money. We can't controll the newbies and hacks so there no sense in getting upset. We were all newbies at one time and i would venture to say most peoples first mounts where crap.

8. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

If those people are stupid enough to leave their deer with a guy who's only ever done one head then I sure don't feel sorry for the money they're going to lose

9. At least you got $900 dollars out of him. I had one guy that was going to do some concrete work in trade for showing him how to mount a deer. After showing him never heard from him again and now he does them for little of nothing.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ok, I KNOW youre all thinking it, so Ill just say it...you call this guy an idiot, but...You trained him to do the work, what did you expect he would do? Also, what is "owen" or "foaks"?

11. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

Don't mean to be a butt, but check the spelling guys.

12. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

You lost me at owen.

13. Wow, that guy is some piece of work. I hope he crashes and burn just for the disrespect he showed to you.

14. RTF

RTF Active Member

You never heard of the Owen buck Bill? ;D

15. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

A little harsh don't you think?

16. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

You guys gave me a good laugh on this one..........

17. Maybe, but he is grabbing his sales, under the guise that he mounted that deer, has no clue what he is doing, has no equipment, and has 12 deerheads to do already, not exactly a just cause to root for the guy either.

18. striker12

striker12 Member

Bill, thanks own and folks. Needed you there in typing class. But to answer Your Question.what he told me he was wanting to do a few for himself and his kids to better himself before he started taking hard earned Money from FOLKS. Also i' m not upset with him for doing that. It' s showing work he didn't do and Throwing my name in the mix to drum up work . That's all. And yes thats an idiot If you ask me.

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ill bet you 20 bucks itll wind up being advertising for you, sooner than later. That kinda thing usually comes back to grab a guy in the backside, and itll benefit you when that happens. Good luck.

20. Acronym Definition; FOAK: First of A Kind: FOAK: Fount of All Knowledge (slang for a know-it-all)