1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

5 minute vs 15 minute Epoxy?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by quest, Dec 9, 2012.

1. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I have a Blacktail deer & the ears have a few cuts in them. I need more time to be able to work those cuts back together. I'm using ear liners. Is there any differences (except for the time) as far as bonding goes? Right now I've been using the 5 minute Epoxy made by Loctite. Any suggestions/ideas?

quest

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Rule of thumb with epoxies is that the longer they take to cure at room temperature, the stronger the bond will be. Obviously the difference between 5 and 15 when compared to 6 hours and 24 hours isn't enough to worry with.

PERSONALLY I've found that if I prefit my liners, 5 minutes to do a single ear at a time seems to take forever. I never try to do both with a single batch.

3. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Thanks George. I've done the prefit but the cuts are small and in awkward places. Id like to have a little more time to make sure everything comes together. I will do one ear at a time. Its good to know the info that you have shared. Id tried to see if any local places around here would carry the 15 minutes epoxy but cant seem to find it. I guess I'll have to order it online.

quest

4. johnnyb

johnnyb Member

I used to use different brands of epoxy and the 10 minute I liked, but I've found that Devcon is the best for me. What I've bought recently is the 30 minute and though it takes a while, it is really good stuff. I bought mine on ebay at a pretty good price because no one around my area sells Devcon any more, only Loc-Tite. I know they offer some 10 minute epoxies, so I'll try to find some of it next time I buy.

5. quest

quest Member

Utah
    Hey thanks.