1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

At home or not?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Skysthelimit, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Skysthelimit

Skysthelimit New Member

Just curious to see how many taxidermist have animals at there homes for reference if its deer or birds or what ever it may be is it good or bad idea?

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I own deer, and have in the past raised bobcats. I think I have had almost every varmit from aligators to possums at one time or another!

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    For years I owned pet Gray Squirrels - they taught me SO much about their species!

We owned an Opossum for about six months or so.

We have Raccoons come to feed here EVERY NIGHT! LOL!

Besides all of our 'regular' Housecats, we recently adopted one who is a throwback to the African Wildcat in size, appearance, and voice!

I have access to pen raised Whitetail Deer at a nearby gun club/reserve.

About half a mile from me is a gentleman who keeps exotics on his property ... everything from Bison, Black Buck, Impala, Wildebeest, and Zebra have run and grazed there over the years, allowing me ample opportunity for study!

And the Cincinnati Zoo is just 45 minutes from my home ... PLENTY of opportunity for study and photography.

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Those who have raised some of these animals will tell you its not always what its cracked up to be. The expense and the physical abuse alone, lol, tips the scales. Things to consider is things like finding a babysitter for these specialty animals when you need to be away, plus having security in place nearby along with the responsibility of owning some of them. Also, captive animals are pretty darn close for the look and feel of the mounts we study for, but most captives do get a captive look. That needs to be recognized and of course removed from your wild subjects.

That being said...Theres nothing like live reference, and coupled with good photographic reference, a one-two punch when it comes to learning and also sight checking as you produce a mount.

5. sportsmen wildlife

sportsmen wildlife New Member

I have Turkeys, they hang(strut) around my shop and roost in a big oak beside my house. Raised them since they where poults, they are now three years old. Most folks are surprised to find out that they won't leave the yard. Got them for the sole purpose to use as reference, now they are my annoying buddy's that won't leave me alone.

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I had a pet red fox once. Beautiful animal, and an excellent reference. He went missing on the first day of dove season one year. I'm afraid someone shot him, but hopefully the gunfire scared him away forever.

7. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

My neighbor has a button buck that he bottle fed after mom was hit by a car.He grazes with his horses and occasionally comes over to my house and plays chase with my dogs.I have trail cam pics of him eating at my feeder.I think he thinks he's a horse.lol

8. Two toned kitty with now single exhaust. I have had coons, yotes and about everything else except a bear. I have friends with deer and a family member with exotics of all sorts.