1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull of the week 12-3-12

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Wouter, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Wouter

Wouter Member

Since we just started a new week, I take the liberty to start a new SOTW.

This one is an old male babirussa I just completed. This peculiar relatives of the pig only lives in Indonesia, on the island Celebes and a few smaller nearby islands. Since this used to be Dutch territory untill 1948, these skulls are not uncommon in old collections in Holland. This one however was made from a fresh head from a zoo, where you can see the species occasionally.
    The head was half freeze-dried and very fat, but fortunately the bone wasn't exceptionally greasy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Those tusks are INSANE.

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

I want it!

4. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

Really great Wouter! keep up the good work!
    Here's that human skull I was asking about some time ago.

Attached Files:

5. looks great!!!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

One of those was on eBay a while back. Went for well out of my price range.

7. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    That is one wicked skull. I like it......very nice job

8. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

I always thought it was cool to use the same name for the common name, genus, and species and spell them all three differently.
    Kendall

9. Very nice babirussa Wouter ! Looks quite old indeed and that gums receding. Never saw one with a crossing tusk.
    Robert, you finally didn't do something to clean that human skull ? That was probably the best option...
    Kendall, quite envious of your big cats, dream specimens.

For the different but very similar denominations of a same animal it's quite common in french. For some rare/uncommon species like (poison dart frogs for example) a French "vernacular name" just don't exist for some species and we use the latine name and sometimes make it looks a bit more french. In that case I prefer using english name or translate it :)
    Other example with dolphin fish, we named them "dorade coryphène" which is very close to Coryphaena hippurus.

10. Voltrax

Voltrax New Member

JC I was afraid of using any water based solutions because of chemicals used before.
    But that was said before. I did tryided with acetone with no luck.

11. Wouter

Wouter Member

Anoher one from the same zoo as the babirussa: a young giraffe. Now I only have to finish a Mhorr Gazelle and a big old Warthog next weekend.
    This giraffe learned me something I didn't know yet: unlike other horned mammals, giraffe horns don't grow from the skull, but they seem to develop in the skin and fuse to the skull later. In this specimen, this process was not completed yet.

[​IMG]

12. AH7

AH7 New Member

Please post a picture of the gazelle. I just finished one and the horns look weird. Closer than I thought.

13. Nice job ! Didn't know that either.

14. Wouter

Wouter Member

I know it's another week now, but these two skulls belong to the same batch as the babirussa and the giraffe, so I'll upload them here anyway:

[​IMG]
    Very old, male Warthog.

[​IMG]
    Mhorr gazelle male, also very old and with very bad teeth. Rare species, extinct in the wild.

Wouter

15. Very good work on these skulls :)
    For the tusks you didn't whiten them to keep the colouration ? Looks good that way also. "Nose" bone looks well stucked in the skull, few pig like I've seen have it preserved.

16. AH7

AH7 New Member

Very cool pieces. I just cleaned a Mhorr gazelle too, and mine also had the horns worn in the front like that. Weird? Any idea why they do that?

17. Wouter

Wouter Member

I think this buck may have rubbed his horns at the fence for many years to get them worn so much. I got another one with it (I can keep that one) which is much younger and not worn like this. Maybe only the alpha-male of the herd has been so active with his horns.

JC, indeed I did not bleach most of the teeth and tusks, they all came out (what was left of them) except for the lower tusks, but they were not affected by the peroxide anyway, About the nose bone: unlike other pigs, the warthog has the nosebone fused to the rest of the skull, so it's not difficult to keep.

Wouter

18. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have a warthog .. now .. I am very jealous. :)

19. That warthog is a Monster! Outsanding group of skulls!

20. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

Wow Wouter, those are really really nice skulls!!