1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Borax

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tiptoe, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Tiptoe

Tiptoe New Member

Hi I'm new to taxidermy, I have done a few european mount for myself and my hunting group. I have been using the borax ( boracic acid) found in some pharmacies, because I use it to preserve my trout roe for fishing. I noticed the borax washing powder in the supermarket the other day. The box said it was sodium tetraborate. My question is are these two products the same, will they serve the same purpose of preserving my roe and ultimately help in my new found love of taxidermy

Thanks in advance

2. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

They'll do the same thing, and welcome to taxidermy.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Borax is indeed sodium tetraborate, the sodium salt of boric acid.

Boric acid and borax are not the exact same compound.

Boric acid is, of course acidic, whereas borax is the alkaline or neutralized form of boric acid.

A quick test with pH paper in respective solutions will tell you which you are working with.

4. Tiptoe

Tiptoe New Member

Thanks. Another question I was going to order sal soda , but I noticed the arm&hammer detergent contains sodium carbonate, would this be as strong as if I ordered the powder from the taxidermy suppliers. Will it help me in boiling skulls, I have my first coyote head to do and don't want to mess it up
    Thanks

5. cyclone

Yes? Yes what?

Baking soda and sodium carbonate are not the same compound..

Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, will decompose to sodium carbonate when heated. Detergent containing sodium carbonate is not the same as pure sodium carbonate aka sal soda.. You must read the box of A&H washing soda and/or the MSDS. If it says 100% sodium carbonate, then yes, you can use it. There are better ways to clean skulls, perhaps you should post in the skulls section..

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Is it my imagination, or has "20 Mule Team Borax" changed. I seem to notice a distinct texture difference.

7. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

yes it seems to me that is less powder and more granulated to me

8. buzzbait

buzzbait Padden's Wild & Wet Taxidermy and custom Woodwork

NY
    yes my mistake, I ment I use 100% sodium bicarbonate when I simmer skulls...And ive had no problems with this method for years..Were not all perfect

9. cyclone

It is a hydrated compound. The normal, stable formula being Na2B4O7.10H2O. It is in granular form. There are different configurations whereas there are less water molecules associated. I do know at one point the company removed all of the water molecules or "puffed" the product. Puffed borax is very light and fluffy compared to the hydrated granular forms.

10. Yeah joey, i ran out of a box i had a few years ago. Bought a new box and it seems to be larger more granulated.

I also bought 20 mule team borax powder and its way finer then the 20 mule at walmart.

Its like they added the 20 mule team powder to the line then changed the regular 20 mule team to be gritty so as to crate more of a difference.

I hate change. Had to re paint a nose the other day because the powder wouldn't come off my paint. Regular 20 worked just fine on the overspray though. I think the smaller particles were just getting trapped into the skin.