1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Keep Your Mouth Shut

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by DL, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

A lesson I learned years ago when I used to pump septic tanks. Last night I was skining out a rather musky Tom bobcat. I was trying to get as much eyelid as possible and punctured the eyeball. It sprayed my right in the lips and chin. I realize its probably harmless but I gave myself a good wiping off with alcohol.
    A friend was gutting out an elk that had set overnight and punctured the stomach. He unfortunately had his mouth open and got a green mouth wash.
    So keep them lips sealed.

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

All the more reason to wear saftey glasses as well. I can't tell you how many times they have save me from nasty stuff in the eyes.

3. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Sheep eyes are the best! Those suckers will shoot eye juice all the way across the room. :)

4. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Wow your poor friend, I can't even imagine. Close call for you too.

That's why I always breathe through my nose when prepping skulls even if they stink, and the glasses make a decent eye shield

5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Wearing glasses all my life has saved my eyes many times.

6. My Brother was gutting a buck out one year and was pulling the bladder out and it squirted him right in the mouth . He puked and gaged , turned green ...... oh it was funny as hell.

7. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

aren't brothers wonderful?

8. I was Lucky enough to kill two caribou on a trip to Quebec. I couldn't believe how quickly they bloat from the liken they eat. They have so much gas that they have the stomach contents pouring out their nose and mouth after you shoot them. I tried field dressing the very first one and nicked its stomach and it exploaded like a water filled balloon. All of that digested green contents blew all over my waterproof camo pants. Talk about stink. Till this day when they get damp they will still smell.

9. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

That's the kind of laugh that hurts...funny stuff right there!

10. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Was skinninng a mink out once got to much pressure pulling down on the tail and nicked one of the glands and . . . BAM right on the shoulder and neck.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Safety glasses are helpful. Ever get one tiny fleck of salt in your eye? It burns.

12. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

When we were caribou hunting, our Inuit guides would cut pieces of meat off the jaw and skull and swab them in the stomach/mouth contents. Then, down the hatch. I couldn't believe what those guys would eat...and live.