1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

southern bobcats anyone?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by byrdman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

who has all the southern coastal bobcats that the fur markets reports say worth 25-35.......all you see posted are 100-125......for any section......more for better westerns.......were do all the worthless furred cats go....

2. What they consider is worthless is valuable here. I will not sell any Texas cats for less than 100 bucks. Yes they have short hair but they are beautifully spotted most of the time. I'm getting ready to sell a few here myself.

3. byrdman

ok so if a guy walks into a furbuyer shop down south he can buy one for 25-35 bucks...post on tax net and its worth 100........rrrrrrrrip-off

4. No sir. The one he buys from the fur buyer is not mountable. The one's I sell are. Are you saying I am a ripoff?

5. byrdman

oh..Ive walked into the furbuyers up here and dozen or so whole cats laying there....maybe because up here they are pretty much frozen in the trap

6. The fur market is quite a different animal than I want to deal with. I spoke to Ray Hatfield about buying a nice tanned northern cat and the price was 250.00. In the same conversation he said that he would sell me a fresh raw cat for 600.00. I'm like huh? The fur market is up again and they want raw skins to Garment tan so therefore are more prime and valueable.

7. byrdman

we cannot even buy cats here for taxidermy unless we buy from a lic fur dealer....so trapper cats are not an option

8. Mark P.

Mark P. "Work is for people who don't know how to fish"

Southern $25-$35 cats don't exsist at the moment. Not when they are averaging $110 at NAFA. Ripoff??? U may want to choose your words a little wiser if your looking to do business on this forum. Shipping a cat and packaging it to where it arrives safely isn't simple. It's actually a pain in the rear. Taking photos and measuring and then answering several messages takes time too. There are a ton of variables that go into getting a cat on the taxi market. What's funny is when southern cats had a $25-$35 fur value I averaged around $150 on the taxi market. Now the fur value is $110 and I average $125. Yeah boy we're here to rip you off. Prices boil down to supply and deman like many things do. When you find that truck load of $25 cats message me and I'll pay you $45 for them and you ship them to me....let me know how well that works out for you. And yes you can buy from trappers, a trapper can have a fur dealer permit for $50. I trap but also have a dealer lic. Instead of complaining you should be happy that you can still get cats on here for $100-$125 because at current fur market prices that's a good deal considering the time and effort that goes into packing and shipping one. Now I'm gonna assume that your previous comments where made because you didn't know all the facts, well now you do. Happy Holidays, Mark

9. byrdman

fact is...fur buyer lic is 500...not 50..........so taxidermy permit does not allow buying fur from trappers...only lic fur dealers.....how many taxis are gonna carry a 500 lic to buy 2 or 3 fur items per year for clients?...no we are limited to getting them from fur dealers...and fact is I also belong to trapperman .com....so you cant tell me trappers dont come on taxi.net to sell thier 35 dollar cats for 125..or thier 4 dollar ermine for 20 bucks....have read all the talk there and fact is its pretty sickening and a real disrespect for any taxidermist on tax.net......yes you can charge what you can get....but go read some of the crap posted there and then tell me what the fact really is.....rrrrrrip-off the taxidermist...they dont know better or just dont care...and I'll keep going to my local furdealer

10. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

byrdman... Maybe you should move! I am a taxi. AND a trapper I catch lots of fur every year and sell the special specimens on here. Most people that buy fur here are looking for that special animal to mount. I do sell my fur at auction and making more money every year, and yes I sell on here and make even more money but I don't feel I'm ripping anybody off for a special animal that people are looking for or have never seen before.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. byrdman

saw your cat and yes its a nice one....trully special...whats not special is the guys that come on here with there 40 dollar fur trying to sell for 100 bucks because its a big joke on trapperman.com that taxidermists will pay anything because they dont know any better or just dont care...I,m a trapper too so...maybe you go ahead and move.....anyway I just asked a simple question and whats everyone feeling guilty or what.....I know aaaallll about packing,shipping e-mails phone calls...I gift enough stuff and sell enuf stuff on here but never charge a dime more than the cost of the bird and shipping...

12. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I am offered several bobcats every year...as far as I'm concerned, they were totally worthless. The daily bag limit on bobcats here is 8 per day fof the month of Oct, and then there is "no limit" from Nov 1-Feb 28.

13. byrdman

wow.....joe. what do they do ...toss them?some of the best cats mounts Ive seen are actually from newyork, or great lakes cats...kansas cats too.......not a ton of spots but good fur and faces...

14. Mark P.

FACT! An Ar fur dealer lic is $50!!! Not $500! I trap, do taxi, and buy/sell fur. If you can get you cats for $45 then get them and quit getting on here ranting like a big baby! Your an idiot if your looking for a $45 cat on here, it's not gonna happen. If you have a source of $45 cats like you claim then why in the world are you on here looking for a $45 cat?! I think your just causing trouble. I know personally of a seller you contacted trying to talk them into selling their cat for $45. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a guy that has access to several $45 cats???? So either you don't have a place to buy $45 cats or your here just causing trouble. Either way your not getting off on the right foot with several here. Calling people that you don't know a bunch of rip off's won't keep you around long! And your reference to trapperman.....well that's your problem. You read something about $45 cats so that's what you expect to pay. I'll save you the time.....move on because you won't find them here. Until your on both ends of the business and truly know what goes into getting a cat to taxi market and properly shipped you may just need to keep your mouth shut. You know the saying "its one thing for people to think your stupid, it's another for you to open your mouth and prove it".

15. byrdman

mark I dont know who you are refering to...I never contacted anyone and offered anything for any cat...I am not in the market for any cats...not looking for any cats...dont need any cats....maybe your fur deler lic is 50....ours is 500...what would a arkansas fur lic do for me in mn anyway...der...think before you type....fur market reports and reputable trappers are talking about 35 dollar cats...ALL I ASKED WAS WHERE DO THEY GO....read some of the posts on trapperman and I still maintain that there are trappers coming on tax net to RRRRIP-OFF taxidermists........if I was going to buy a cat or any other fur or bird I buy from taxidermists who sell whole or at least know how to skin......not case skin for fur then try to sell as taxidermy specimens...if you buy/sell fur as you claim then you should be able to answer a simple question....but so far you havent,cant, or wont....

16. Mark P.

You're almost entertaining.......ALMOST.

17. chief0902

chief0902 New Member

well usually i refrain fromgetting involved in these spats but since i have a chance to bust out a lyer i will, with the handy feature of copy and paste i will post i few pm's....

...your cat has some spotting but looks to have pretty short fur....where was it caught? is it frozen whole yet? would give you 50 plus shipping if you dont get any better offers

and then...

... I would suggest that IF fur buyer offered you 50 then take it and run....probablly wont sell as a taxidermy cat for what your asking...good day sir

does this ring a bell with anyone... brydman?

and btw the same cat you said wouldn't bring my price, i got $100 plus shipping. good day sir!

18. Mark P.

Cricket.....cricket....

19. byrdman

well good for you....someone paid what they wanted to pay........whether or not it was worth it is thier choice....good day sir..

20. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I average a hundred bucks or more a cat for all that I carry to my buyer. I release the little cats and the poor fur ones that I catch early in the season...I catch about ten or twelve a year. I only sell the large spotted or the larger cats on here...Normally two or three a year...So I try and release the 25 dollar cats back into the wild until they grow into 100 dollar cats.....DC