1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

southern bobcats anyone?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by byrdman, Dec 13, 2012.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

dc makes sense

2. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

What I don't understand is why you even care? If someone comes on here and sells a cat for whatever they want why is that a rip off? We are adults and if we choose to buy something it is not a rip off as long as we get what was advertised. I trap most of my own stuff and buy some as well. For a guy who doesn't trap it is a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a $100 southern cat than buy the equipment, spend his time, and burn gas checking traps. I really struggle to understand why folks spend so much time worrying about stuff that doesn't concern them.

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

marty it concerns us all...dont struggle.....I guess y'all have to back up and go to trapperman.com and read some posts....other than that I really dont care who buys or sells what...

4. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

I just hate it when there is a cat argument and I`m left out. lol. I`m heading out trapping, be back feb 1st with tons of everything. but doubt any of my cats will be listed as the fur market is just too strong on western type cats, even the semi heavy plains types like I catch avg`d $452 /cat last year to the fur market. they all graded $510, $420 and one for $200. I was under selling them on here for years and took a lot of grief from folks saying I was too high priced when in fact I was selling under fur market value. so I fixed that for everyone. same on western coyotes, offered them for $45 last year, lot of price resistance on here so I chopped the feet off and sold over 200 western type semi heavy pales to the fur buyer for $60 nose count, every last one. so much for trappers ripping off taxidermists. not always, in fact hardly ever. sometimes some (SOME) on here would look a gift horse in the mouth. for all those ,and there are hndreds on here ,that have patronized my product over the years, your support and buys are much appreciated and I thank you each and every one of you. merry christmas and happy holidays. see you in 5 weeks.

5. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    Ok, i just read the current fur prices from a wv- oh- PA and i see the point from byrdman. Top price for a finished bobcat is $69. Would love to know how Bob is getting $500 for his best. I also understand the tier level and all middle men make their profit from the bottom to the top. What level are you on bob? Still, paying $100 bucks or so for a good whole frozen is acceptable to me for taxidermy use. Not a fan of anything case skinned, just missed what could have been a beautiful ls black coon mount from a trapper who cased it and no feet. Please leave them whole if you plan on selling to taxidermists.....

6. bob wendt

lot of difference in a w.v cat and a western plains cat. argued that on here for years and finally gave up. your $69 cat, going to be hard to mount it with silver dollar size eye holes and no feet. but good luck with that. kinda like the de footed black coon. for the $69 I suppose that is taxidermy skinned and shipping ( real taxidermy shipping) included? of coiurse not we all know that. plus top cat at $69 is not true either. someone is yanking your chain d. brown. anyway, you all will notice all the cats offered here are either coastal , female , eastern and southern, or kittens. the rest went to the fur market no matter what part of the country. just simple economics. most trappers aren`t fools, same as most taxidermists are not either. if you think a western cat is the same fur or color qualkity as an eastern or a southern you are not included in that "most" group. just saying, I no longer have cats to sell on here, so not really a dog in the fight.

7. bob wendt

forgrt, d brown, not 500 for he best, $510 and that was about 1/2 of them brought that. from the fur buyer. no feet, no careful taxiermy skin. and he bought them all, every last one, one stop, 5 mninute deal for all of them. cash on the barrel head. no paypal, no ck in the mail, no ck in the mail and it never comes, no pm back and forth a million times, no asking for pictures, no boxing and shipping, no taxidermy quality skinning job. in fact so easy and fast is why you never see westen cats even offered here anymore, just the dinks, easterns, southerns or females. and even all those are learning the fur market is often better. if all the cat sellers get run off or bad mouthed then what`s next?

8. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    There you go gettin all excited again Bob. I wasn't bad mouthing anyone i was just stating i see where byrdman was coming from. That price list is from a fur buyer and i would gladly send you his website address so you can see no one is yanking my chain. Yes i realize what condition that $69 cape is in which is why i stated for a whole frozen it was worth more for a taxidermist. The question was how does this fur buyer pay $69 when you are getting $510 unless he is just a trapper like you (same tier level) and just making a huge profit by buying low and selling high. All i was saying nothing more. I wish i had the money to buy one of your cats to compare with the wv cat just to see how big the difference really is. Good luck on your 5 week run Bob.

9. engc237

engc237 Well-Known Member

hi the differance is like night and day been buying southern for 45 and up and the super heavy well spotted extra pale weatern cats i been paying over the 500 dollar mark

10. NTR

NTR New Member

W.V.
    So only the spots are different? I've seen both heavy spotted and lightly spotted here in wv, which is considered northeast and not southern. Guess i just need to hold one of these magnificant western cats to see for myself.

11. engc237

engc237 Well-Known Member

the western cat is silky fur like a rabbit and it will be alot paler and have ALOT more fur and better spoted bellie no brown in it dont get me wrong not every western cat is worth big dollars we have our share of 100 to 200 dollar cats more than people are lead to believe its the best of the best that bring top dollar