1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yawning/Stretching coyote WIP

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by phoenix-cry, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I did a "sleeping" deer and I quickly realized that glass eyes are needed to achieve a realistic look. I used cheep eyes since they won't be seen,yet give you a good foundation to do your eye lids.

2. phoenix-cry

phoenix-cry Active Member

Yeah. I agree with you there! Next time getting some cheap eyes!

3. looking great, if u can't find any good ref pictures, go look and take pics of a sleeping dog, should help u out a lot.

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I think there is too much black showing on the eyes. Is there a way to tuck so they are rolled in a little?

5. phoenix-cry

I've been trying and it rolls back out. I'm hoping when the clay dries a little it will stick in better?

6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Found this picture.
    [​IMG]

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

That's what I was talking about. It's almost hair to hair, but not quite.

8. phoenix-cry

I've made the changes. Pics in the morning thats a great yawn shot! Thanks!

9. This is looking fantastic so far, you are a real inspiration!

10. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

I'm bummed about the red yote;(

11. phoenix-cry

I still may do the red like this but I wanted some practice.

12. phoenix-cry

Just a base paint layer, will soften with brown and such.

[​IMG]

13. phoenix-cry

Got to work on the form today! I've been dreading this part. I know a smart person would just do a wrapped mount, but my wrapped mount skills are not as good as my form modification skills.

Original form:

[​IMG]

Form now. I will be filling the gaps with foam (Great Stuff) and smoothing out the curves I am aware that the back at the top is too flat at the moment.

[​IMG]

14. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

got to thinking that sure is a strange way to mount a coyote...doing the head work first....then putting skin on body.......but realized I kind of do that with birds...mounting head,setting eyes,filling,sewwing up insicion....then wire wings ,legs sew-up,etc and pose.....

15. phoenix-cry

The reason I did it this way was that the head had to come off any way because with the jaw open so wide the back of the head had to go through the mouth ears first anyway. Plus I wasn't sure I was going to be able to pull off the jaw. ;)

16. phoenix-cry

More work on my yawning coyote. Waiting for it to dry so that I can give it a bath for a groom job. I know the ears are a mess, they are bondo ears so I can't fix them (as far as I know, is there a way to fix bondo ears once they are dry?). In retrospect I should have had the body ready to mount right after the head so that I could shape the ears before they were dry, but in all honesty I wasn't sure I was going to pull the jaw off in the first place so I thought I'd just do the head first. Live and learn!!

[​IMG]

17. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    I like it, good job

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

18. phoenix-cry

Thanks! Still needs work! The back feet are still wet, I'll form the clay inside once it's a little drier.

19. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

pheonix...check your ref pics...your front legs are either anchored at the wrong place at shoulder...or are about 8 inches too short.....

20. phoenix-cry

Yeah, it's a product of modifying a form rather than starting from scratch or using a wire wrap. It looked right when it was just a form, but I agree it looks a little odd with the fur on. Another reason that I didn't use that blood red coyote for this, practice!