1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spanish Goat/ Catalina

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Wheatfields, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Wheatfields

Wheatfields The woods are my home

Hey I'm brand new ! Haven't mounted a Spanish Goat / Catalina . A friend of mine brought me one he had shot and I've only mounted whitetail .. Not a clue where to start with this species !!! ( Horns ) not Antlers are really close and not sure how to make my Y Incision or separate the hide around bases ? I usually start w Y incision and use flat head screwdriver around bases of antlers on Whitetails ? Do you do these different ?? Don't wanna mess this up ! One things certain these suckers stink!!!! Holy Crap!

2. Cut the hair line all the way around the horn base and y as you normally would. Rot the horns off. Send cape to tannery and it will more than likely still have a smell to it. After cape hydration, shampoo with livestock shampoo from farm store and dip in fabric softener. Should take care of it.

3. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Cut a "t " instead if a "y"

Cut off with scalpel where hair and horn meets.

You need to pop horns off the cores, search for horn removal.

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

the whole rot the horns off will throw you through a loop the first time. horns and skull plate go into a bag with some water, after a couple weeks left in a warm place they will come off. Fill them with borax and let dry. Boil the skull plate and you can cut the horn cores down to 4" or so.The smell might last until the capes completely dry. Good luck

5. Yeah the smell of them is very very unpleasant to say the least!

6. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

I always used the "L" cut on goats. Commercial tan and they still stink but it works better than anything else. Horns stink also. They do make nice mounts.

7. murph

murph Member

when rotting them off, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JAR OF VICKS VAPO RUB !!!! Gonna need it

8. zubba

zubba Active Member

The goat don't stink near as bad as the horns will when you pull them out of the maceration tank.