1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Great new fish eyes!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fishandchips, Dec 17, 2012.

1. fishandchips

fishandchips New Member

Acrylic eyes in various colors that look fantastic! Solvent resistant with sealed in coloration. I had to try them as the price is fantastic!
    [​IMG] These are the rusty red.
    I got them From Dennis Murawska. They are not from Buck, in case your thinking that.
    I am not affiliated with these except for using them, just giving my product review.

2. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

You got an e-mail or phone number for Dennis Murawska?

3. fishandchips

fishandchips New Member

This is the general use gold eye from Dennis in a small Tarpon.
    Here is a link to his eyes:
    http://www.aa-taxidermy.com/Taxidermy_Fish_Eyes.shtml
    [​IMG]

4. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

I wish someone would make eyes that are almost a ball shape (sphere- like a real fish) instead of re-hashing the same old shape that's already been done forever. Always tough to add sclera on all these and make it blend. I also always hope for silver eyes that are silver and not black. I'll check these out though. Gonna be hard to beat still life lenses. DS

5. JE

JE Well-Known Member

x2 on the Sclera Dave, I love using Jeffs eyes but an extended scleral band would be even nicer ! ;)
    Good luck with these new eyes Dennis, (but I prefer to paint my own).
    John

6. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I agree Dave and JE. I make my own from scratch, spherical, and it takes alot of time to do the way i do, trying to get lifelike attributes of a real fish eye. I think you could vacuum form a deeper scleral band fairly effectively over a SLL like form, but I don't have the equipment anymore to try it, and it wouldnt really be a great solution.

A molded sperical fish eye cast that you paint and coat with clear medium would be an improvement in my opinion. (like prosthetic and many special effects eyes). Ideally you'd want a concave iris, but then you'd have to build up the cornea with clear medium or cast it. I add a lens in my fish eyes that forces me to do things differently, otherwise that's what I'd be doing.

Eye manufacturers.....Have you seen the ez eye rotation system for whitetails.......spherical is in!

Best, Scott

7. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Right on- the "problem" I could potentially see with molding over a buck is that the thinnest portion would be the center of the eye, but if you molded into a concave (mold), you would have to have vacuum access, which would mean a single little "nipple" (can I say that? ha ha) to buff out- maybe not that big of a deal, but this way the center of the eye would be the thickest (ideal). The other thing you could do with a vacuum formed version is add a few drops of clear resin in the middle- not that any of us have EVER done that on lenses! The main thing the eye makers need to know is we don't need a full sperical eye- just a LITTLE more sclerotic capsule! Don't mean to go way off subject- the new eyes are very nice and I will definately be trying them out! DS

8. den007

den007 Active Member

I think so!

Attached Files: